Warming spiced carrot, lentil and sweet potato soup that’s loaded with soothing spices like ginger and turmeric. Cozy up with a big bowl of this healthy nourishing soup!
You know those days where you’re looking in your fridge and pantry thinking “hmmm…what should I make?”
Well, that’s how the story behind this soup started. In fact many of the ingredients in this soup happened by accident. But it turned out to be one of those happy accidents.
I was having one of those Sundays where I was pretty low on ingredients, (you know, the day before grocery day…) and looking in my fridge trying to scavenge what I could to make something for food prep. What did I come across? A pack of carrots, some leftover cooked red lentils, and a container of crushed tomatoes.
That’s when I had my “ah-ha” moment and went in my pantry to grab some sweet potatoes. I guess I was trying to stick to an orange coloured trend.
I LOVE making soups for food prep. Especially in the Fall of course when the weather starts to get cooler and you end up just wanting quick & easy warming meals. I usually make a big batch of soup on a Sunday and then have it ready to go in the fridge for the week ahead. I’m also a big believer in freezing my soups if there’s extra. It’s a great way to have some healthy food on hand for those days where you’re too busy to cook, or…just lazy. (Trust me, I definitely have those days.)
This spiced carrot, lentil and sweet potato soup is like a hug in a bowl. It’s so warming and soothing and filled with tons of nourishing vitamins, protein, herbs, and spices.
- ½ cup red lentils
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large sweet potato (or 2 small)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2-inch cube of ginger, roughly chopped
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup crushed tomatoes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Rinse your lentils until the water runs clean, then cook in a pot according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel and chop the carrots and sweet potato into large chunks and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. Add the onion and let cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the garlic, ginger, sweet potato, and carrot, letting cook for another 2 minute.
- Add the red lentils, vegetable broth, and rest of the spices & seasoning and bring to a boil, stirring everything until incorporated.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, (or regular blender) blend the soup for about 15-20 seconds.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips & suggestions:
- You can replace the sweet potato with butternut squash if you have that on hand instead
- If you like a thinner smoother soup, add more vegetable broth and blend until smooth
- Craving more? Try my roasted sweet potato cinnamon soup!