Say Hello to these vegan apple crumb muffins! perfectly moist and topped with delicious crumble!
Today is Canadian Thanksgiving! And for me, that means lots of cooking going on in my kitchen. Food is such an important aspect of Thanksgiving, bringing people together to enjoy a delicious meal. Usually, my family cooks up loads of food and plenty of desserts like pies and cakes.
One thing I love about cooking and baking during Thanksgiving is all the delicious Fall seasonal produce available. Apples of course are readily in season right now and make for some great baking!
These Vegan apple crumb muffins are perfect for a healthy Thanksgiving brunch, (or any brunch) or even as a dessert. The crumb topping really makes these muffins feel more festive and special than your average apple muffin.
Let’s get to the muffins!
- ¾ cup quick oats
- 1¼ cup spelt flour (can sub. regular flour)
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 flaxeggs (2 tbsp ground flax+6 tbsp water)
- 1 cup almond milk with 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 heaping tbsp walnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp oats
- 1 tbsp spelt flour
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and like a muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Start by preparing the flax eggs. Mixing 2 tbsp ground flax in 6 tbsp water and allowing to sit and 'gel' for 5 minutes.
- Next prepare your "buttermilk" by mixing the almond milk and 1 tsp of white vinegar together, allowing to sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix together oats, spelt flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, ginger powder, nutmeg, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl mix together the avocado oil, maple syrup, flax eggs, almond milk mixture, and vanilla extract
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined.
- Next fold in the chopped apples.
- To prepare the crumb topping, mix the chopped walnuts, oats, flour, oil, and sugar together in a small bowl until combined.
- Fill your muffin pan with the batter, and top each muffin with the crumb topping.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
I love seeing you make recipes from the blog! Use #choosingchia on Instagram so I can see your creations!
Here are some items I use for these Vegan apple crumb muffins: