We went through strawberry season with my strawberry cheesecake smoothie bowl, and raspberry season with my raspberry chia seed jam, well, now it’s blueberry season with my clean-eating blueberry crumble bars!
During August, I like to go to the farmers market and buy fresh local blueberries. I try to buy wild blueberries during the summer because they grow locally in my area, and they are absolutely delicious! If you can find wild blueberries in your area, I highly recommend you use them for these blueberry crumble bars.
Wild blueberries are much smaller in size than their cultivated cousins, and have a more intense “blueberry taste.” Wild blueberries also have a higher concentration of antioxidants than cultivated blueberries do.
If you don’t have access to wild blueberries, or even fresh cultivated blueberries, don’t panic! Frozen blueberries will work just fine for your blueberry crumble bars.
Clean-eating Blueberry Crumble Bars
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Lets prepare the filling first!
- In a small saucepan, cook down 2 cups of your blueberries on medium-high heat for about 5-10 minutes.
- Once your berries begin to bubble, turn down the heat to medium-low and allow to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add in the honey, lemon zest and chia seeds and cook another minute.
- Remove from heat and add in remaining 1 cup of blueberries.
- Mix your oats, spelt flour, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place the coconut oil and coconut sugar in an electric mixer, and mix on medium until mixture looks a bit fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and applesauce and mix until incorporated.
- Slowly pour in your dry ingredients, half the amount at a time, and mix on low just until the dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet. Do not over-mix!
- Line a 9″ x 9″ baking pan with parchment paper, and press 2/3 of your dough mixture into the bottom. (reserving the rest to crumble on top)
- Pour your blueberry mixture into the pan.
- Use your hands to make little crumbles with the rest of the dough and sprinkle it on top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 216
- Sugar: 15g
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: Clean eating Blueberry Crumble Bars, clean dessert bar, healthy dessert recipe