This ginger tempeh poke bowl is a healthy vegan twist on the traditional poke bowl. Tempeh gets marinated in an Asian ginger sauce, cooked and then served on rice with veggies.
Poke bowls have been making an appearance everywhere lately! I’ve been seeing them all over social media, and a ton of Poke bars popping up here in Montreal.
I actually had my very first poke bowl at a restaurant in the south of Bali while watching the sunset. It was definitely the perfect setting to enjoy a poke bowl! The restaurant had a menu with a few specials they put together, or an option to build your own poke bowl. I thought it was such a fun idea! You could choose your base, (rice, quinoa, salad) protein source, (fish, tofu, tempeh) and an assortment of toppings & sauces.
As soon as I got back home I knew I wanted to make my very own DIY poke bowl.
Traditionally, poke bowls are made with raw fish and severed on some rice with an assortment of toppings such as edamame beans, fresh veggies, mangos and other great toppings.
This ginger tempeh poke bowl features tempeh as the star ingredient. If you’ve never cooked with tempeh before, it’s a great vegan protein option. It’s made from soybeans and goes through a fermentation process. The flavour is slightly nutty and it has a much denser texture than tofu.
One thing I love about tempeh is that it’s great to marinade. Tempeh absorbs well, so it can get some really great bold flavour going on!
This ginger tempeh poke bowl s a great vegetarian/vegan option if you’re looking for something a little different than a traditional poke bowl. It’s loaded with marinated tempeh, avocado, carrots, cabbage, and greens for a healthy lunch or dinner!Print
Poke bowls get a vegan makeover with ginger marinated tempeh and veggies!
- 1 pack tempeh (approx 200g)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsb avocado oil (or other neutral cooking oil)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 cup jasmine rice, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup edamame
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup arugula (or any leafy green)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 large carrots sliced or chopped
- sesame seeds for topping (optional)
- If your tempeh comes frozen, take it out of the fridge to defrost before you begin the recipe.
- Place your tempeh in a saucepan filled with about 3-4 inches of water and bring to boil. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the tempeh marinade.
- Combine soy sauce, avocado oil, lime juice, maple syrup, and grated ginger in a bowl and stir until combined.
- Remove tempeh from the saucepan, cut into cubes or triangles, and place covered in the marinade overnight. (or for at least 2 hours)
- Once tempeh is marinated, grill it on the bbq, or cook it in a saucepan on medium heat, about 2-3 minutes on each side. You can also put your pineapple on the grill at the same time, for about 2 minutes on each side.
- To assemble your bowls, place rice on the bottom, and top with tempeh, vegetables and sesame seeds
Keywords: tempeh, poke bowl, vegan
If you like this recipe for my ginger tempeh poke bowl, and are interested in more one-bowl style recipes make sure to check out my banh mi bowls with sticky tofu!