This healthy spaghetti carbonara is made with simple healthy ingredients, but tastes rich and creamy! Find out the secret to making a smooth and luscious carbonara sauce that is completely dairy-free!
This recipe is sponsored by Lightlife.
Do I have a special recipe for you today! I’m talking smooth, creamy, luscious, heavenly, comforting, dreamy healthy spaghetti carbonara.
I’ve been on a pasta kick this fall. With the cooler weather rolling in all I’ve been wanting to eat is carbs on carbs. So It’s been plenty of pumpkin Alfredo, mac and cheese and now healthy spaghetti carbonara in my kitchen!
Pasta is one of my long-time favourite foods since I was a kid. When I was younger, my dad would often make me pasta for school lunches and he’d even make me a little extra to have for breakfast. (Thanks dad!:) ) And let me tell you, pasta for
Here’s exactly what’s about to go down in this recipe:
- whole-grain gluten-free pasta
- the CREAMIEST EVER cashew cream sauce
- plant-based bacon (I like Lightlife)
- Fresh parsley.
That’s it. simple. Easy. DELISH. you ready?
A few notes on the recipe:
I am so excited to share what’s about to go down in your kitchen! We’re starting off with the creamiest ever garlicky carbonara sauce. The sauce is made from raw unsalted cashews, and I promise you could trick die-hard dairy fans in believing this sauce is made with cream. It’s that good.
The secret to this sauce is to soak your cashews overnight to make sure they get nice and soft and blend up easily in a smooth cream. Then we go ahead add a whole bunch of garlic, seasoning and just a bit of miso paste to get that rich umami flavour!
Next comes in plant-based bacon. And today we’re using Lightlife’s plant-based bacon strips. They’re made with simple ingredients, have 7 grams of protein per serving, and OMG the aroma when you’re cooking them! For this recipe, we cook up some of these strips, chop em up and add them to our carbonara sauce to act as our pancetta and give us that rich smoky flavour. YUM.
Lastly comes in the pasta. Today I’m doing whole-grain gluten-free spaghetti, but any type of spaghetti will do. (In fact, you don’t even need to limit yourself to spaghetti, any of type pasta will do!)
This healthy spaghetti carbonara is:
- Naturally vegan, gluten-free & dairy-free
- Perfect for a comforting meal or a date night
- CREAMIEST. SAUCE. EVER.
Ok, onto the creamy goodness!Print
This is the CREAMIEST EVER sauce topped off on a delicious bowl of spaghetti. mmm…
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight then drained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 portions of spaghetti (about 8 oz)
- 5 strips Lightlife bacon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp white miso paste
- 3 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- Blend the cashews and water in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy, for about a minute. Set aside.
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Cook Lightlife bacon in a pan on medium-high heat on each side for 2 minutes until browned.
- Remove from the pan and chop into small pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in the pan on medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then reduce heat to medium and add the bacon pieces, cashew cream, pasta water salt, pepper, and miso paste.
- Mix until well combined and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the spaghetti and parsley and toss everything together.
- Serve immediately.
To bring more flavour to your pasta salt the pasta water before cooking your spaghetti!
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 385
- Sugar: 3g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 43g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 18g
Keywords: vegan carbonara recipe, creamy vegan pasta recipe