You won’t believe that these bars are 100% raw, vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free!
- 1 cup almond flour or blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil
- 4 Medjool dates
- 1 1/4 cup Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup nut butter of choice (I used peanut butter)
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add the almond flour, shredded coconut, coconut oil and dates to a food processor until well combined. The mixture should be a bit sticky when you press it between your fingers.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan and place in the freezer while you prepare the caramel layer.
- In a food processor combine the Medjool dates, nut butter, almond milk, vanilla extract and salt until smooth and creamy. Evenly spread the mixture on top the base of the pan. Place the pan back in the freezer for 30 minutes until the caramel sets.
- Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan on low heat. Add the cocoa powder, vanilla extract and maple syrup and mix until combined. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Pour the chocolate mixture on top of the pan and spread evenly.
- Place the pan in the fridge for 2 hours to let the bars set.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Make sure to use Medjool dates, not regular dates for this recipe. Medjool dates are larger, stickier and have a caramel-like flavour which is essential for the filling.
If your Medjool dates are fresh, they should be really sticky. If they are not, soak them in warm water for 2-3 minutes, then drain.
Store these bars in the fridge.
If you want a really clean cut on your bars, pop them in the freezer for an hour before slicing.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 322
- Sugar: 24g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: raw caramel slice, no bake caramel slice, vegan caramel bars