Roasted Carrot Sweet Potato Ginger Soup
Roasted carrot sweet potato ginger soup is a cozy warming soup that is vegan and gluten-free. Enjoy a cozy bowl of this soup for lunch or a healthy appetizer!
Easy carrot sweet potato soup
This roasted carrot sweet potato ginger soup is one of my favourite cozy soup recipes. There’s nothing like coming home in the evening on a cold winter day and warming up with a bowl of this soup packed with roasted veggies and ginger.
The carrots and sweet potatoes for this soup are roasted in the oven beforehand to give a bold and rounded flavour to the soup, while the ginger gives a warming and tangy zing.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Packed with nutrients. Carrots and sweet potatoes are packed with beta carotene, vitamin c, vitamin a and potassium for a healthy soup that will also boost your immune system to fight off any pesky winter colds.
- Easy to make. This simple soup recipe comes together in 40 minutes and is very simple to make.
- Super cozy. Basically like a “hug in a bowl”, this soup is perfect to enjoy on a cold Fall or Winter day when you want to eat something that will make you feel warm and cozy.
Carrot Sweet Potato Ginger Soup ingredients
- Sweet potato: one medium to large sweet potato will work for this recipe. You can also use a regular white potato if you prefer.
- Carrots: you’ll need about 4 large carrots for this soup, or the equivalent of about 2 cups cut.
- Onion: a regular cooking onion. You can also substitute for 2 shallots if you prefer.
- Garlic: make sure to use fresh garlic, not powdered for this recipe.
- Ginger: this is the key ingredient to give this soup a cozy and warming effect. Make sure to use fresh ginger.
- Vegetable broth: I recommend using low-sodium broth so you can control how salty the soup turns out.
- Cayenne pepper: just a pinch for a little extra spice.
How to make Carrot Sweet Potato Soup
Peel and chop the sweet potatoes and carrots then toss them with 1/2 tablespoon of avocado oil. Spread the vegetables onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 400 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes.
Sauteé the onions and garlic in the remaining avocado oil in a pot on medium-high heat, then add the grated ginger, sweet potatoes and carrots.
Add the broth and seasoning and bring to a light boil, then cover and let simmer for 10 minutes. Use an emulsion blender to blend the soup until smooth. (You can also use a regular blender if that’s what you have.)
How to store, freeze and reheat
Fridge: Store leftovers of this soup in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Freezer: to freeze this sweet potato carrot soup, let the soup cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 2 months. To defrost the soup let thaw on the countertop or defrost in the microwave on the defrost setting.
- Roast the sweet potatoes and carrots. Rather than just adding them raw to the broth and letting them cook, make sure to roast the vegetables. This will give them a rich and caramelized flavour that will make the soup taste amazing.
- Use low-sodium broth. This will give you more control over how salty the soup is. You can always add more salt as needed.
- Add some yogurt or coconut milk on top. For a creamy and fresh taste, try adding a little bit of plain yogurt or coconut milk swirled on top of the soup.
More soup recipes to try
- Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
- Curried Cauliflower Soup
- Broccoli Potato Soup
- Red Lentil Soup
- Golden Chickpea Soup
If you tried this Roasted Carrot Sweet Potato Ginger Soup or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This hearty roasted carrot sweet potato ginger soup is perfect for a cozy meal on a cold day.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1–litre vegetable broth
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a pan with parchment paper.
- Toss the sweet potatoes and carrots with 1/2 tbsp avocado oil, then spread onto the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes. Add grated ginger, sweet potato, carrots and a pinch of cayenne and stir together.
- Add your vegetable broth and bring the soup to a light boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender (or use an emersion blender) and blend soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Store in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Season to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne.
Optionally top with some yogurt, coconut milk and fresh herbs.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 140
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: carrot ginger soup, sweet potato ginger soup, sweet potato carrot soup