A classic cupcake made vegan & healthyish. Perfect for a special treat!
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Spelt flour (or regular flour, or gluten-free flour blend)
- 3/4 cup organic sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp beetroot powder or vegan red food colouring
Cream cheese frosting:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Mix the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes to turn to “buttermilk.”
- Next, add the coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together until smooth. If using vegan food colouring, add it now.
- Spoon the batter into your pan, filling 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, remove the can of coconut milk from the fridge and scoop out just the cream on top (the cream and liquid should have separated in the fridge) (*skip this step if using store-bought coconut whipped cream)
- Add the vanilla extract and cane sugar and whip on high until smooth and the whipped cream forms soft peaks
- Add the cream cheese spread and continue to whip, just until combined.
- Use a piping bag to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Serve immediately.
These cupcakes need to be stored in the fridge, otherwise, the frosting will begin to melt.
Frost these cupcakes right before you wish to serve them.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 176
- Sugar: 13g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: Vegan cupcake recipes, Vegan red velvet recipe, how to make vegan cupcakes