The healthiest detox soup…like ever.
- 3 tablespoons high-heat oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, roughly chopped (fronds reserved)
- ½ teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 garlic head, minced
- ⅓ cup hulled hemp seeds
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper, to serve (optional)
- Make the soup: Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add the onions, chopped fennel bulb, and ¼ teaspoon of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions just begin to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the kale and cook, stirring occasionally, until it wilts, 3 to 4 minutes. If any browned bits stick to the bottom of the pot while cooking, add 1 tablespoon water at a time to loosen them up. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Immediately stir in two-thirds of the minced garlic, then let the soup cool, uncovered, for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the gremolata: Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. When it shimmers, stir in the hemp seeds, remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt, and remaining garlic. Spread the mixture into a single layer in the bottom of the pan, then cook, stirring and redistributing into a single layer occasionally, until the hemp and garlic are golden brown and fragrant about 3 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Chop the fennel fronds. Let cool for a few minutes, then stir in the lemon zest and fennel fronds.
- Add the cilantro, parsley, and lemon juice to the soup. Transfer the soup to a blender, or use an immersion blender in the pot, and blend until very smooth.
- Ladle the soup into 2 bowls and top with a generous amount of the gremolata. Garnish with pepper, if desired.
Keywords: how to make detox soup, healthy soup, green soup