These brothy baked beans make for the ultimate healthy and cozy meal and are PACKED with flavour!
- 2 cups dried cannellini beans, soaked in water overnight then drained
- 1 bulb of garlic, outer layer peeled off(or 2 small bulbs)
- 4 shallots, outer layer peeled off
- 1 sprig of sage (about 6–8 leaves)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups of water or veggie stock (I use a mix of both)
- Crusty toasted bread
- A drizzle of olive oil
- Add all the ingredients to a large pot and bring to a boil. Stir everything together and let bubble for 2-3 minutes.
- Cover the pot and transfer to the oven at 350 degrees F, letting cook for 60-75 minutes until the beans are tender.
- Remove from the oven and give everything a stir. Optionally (but recommended) to use a wooden spoon to squeeze the garlic out of their skins and mix them into the broth.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, pepper and some rustic toasted bread.
. This will give you the most flavourful brothy baked beans and soaking the beans will cut the cooking time by half.
Use a mix veggie stock or a mix of veggie stock and water as your liquid. This will create a more flavourful broth.
Taste and adjust cooking time as needed! Different brands of beans and sizes of beans will have slight variations in cooking time. Check your beans after 60 minutes, if they taste a bit too firm, put them back in the oven.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 16g
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: how to make beans in broth, white bean soup