This Thai-style Butternut Squash Curry is ready in 30 minutes and packed with bold flavours!
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed. (approx 1 small squash)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (can sub vegetable oil)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2–3 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1–2 tbsp soy sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 3 cups kale
- 2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tsp cold water
- Rice for serving
- Heat the avocado oil in a pot on medium-high heat, then add the onion and let cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and let cook for another 1-2 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add curry paste and curry powder mixing everything together and letting the curry paste toast slightly for 20-30 seconds, then add the butternut squash and mix all together letting cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, vegetable broth, soy sauce, coconut sugar and lime juice mixing everything together, then cover and let simmer for 15 minutes until the squash is tender.
- Once the squash is cooked, remove the cover and add in the kale, letting it wilt and soften in the curry for 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add the cornstarch and mix it together. This will help to thicken the curry sauce.
- Serve immediately over rice or on its own.
Cut the squash into even cubes so it cooks evenly in the curry sauce. If you want the curry to cook even faster, cut the squash into smaller cubes.
Adjust the seasoning as needed. Depending on how salty your vegetable broth is, or how strong your Thai curry paste is, you may need to add a bit more/less soy sauce and curry paste.
Dissolve the cornstarch in a touch of water before adding it to the curry. If you add cornstarch directly to a hot liquid, it will become clumpy and won’t mix in properly.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 222
- Sugar: 7.1g
- Sodium: 400mg
- Fat: 10.8g
- Saturated Fat: 5.9
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 4.9g
Keywords: vegan butternut squash curry, Thai butternut squash curry, squash curry