Cornbread waffles with blueberry compote
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (*can sub white vinegar)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 fine ground cornmeal
- 1/2 cup spelt flour (*can sub regular flour or gluten-free flour blend)
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Mix the almond milk with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 5 minutes. (This will turn it into “buttermilk.”) After 5 minutes, add the coconut oil and vanilla extract and mix.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat your waffle press, spray with cooking spray if needed, and spoon in batter. Cook for 4-5 minutes . (*May vary depending on waffle press)
- To make the blueberry compote, heat blueberries, water, and maple syrup in a small pot on medium heat for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in chia seeds and allow to simmer for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and top on the waffles.
- Serving Size: 1 large waffle
- Calories: 589
- Sugar: 24g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 95g
- Fiber: 14g
- Protein: 11g
Keywords: Cornbread waffles, blueberry compote, how to make cornbread