Creamy Vegan Mushroom Risotto is surprisingly easy to make and packed with umami flavour!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (can sub 1 tbsp lemon juice)
- 4–5 cups vegetable stock, hot*
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan (can sub 2 tbsp nutritional yeast)
- 1 tsp truffle oil (optional)
- fresh parsley to top (optional)
- Clean any dirt off the mushrooms with a damp towel, then slice the mushrooms.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium-high heat then add the mushrooms letting cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are golden brown.
- Once browned, season with 1/4 tsp salt then remove the mushrooms from the pot and set aside.
- Heat the butter in the pot on medium heat, then add the shallots and garlic and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and thyme and stir everything together, let cook for another 1-2 minutes so the rice toasts slightly.
- Add the white wine and stir until the wine is evaporated.
- Slowly add the broth, a 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently until the liquid is completely absorbed before adding more broth.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until the rice is al dente, continuing to add broth as needed.
- When the rice is al dente (has a slight bite to it), add in the mushrooms, vegan parmesan and truffle oil and mix everything together. If the rice is still too firm for your liking, add another 1/2 cup of broth and mix.
- The texture of the risotto is perfect when you can run a wooden spoon through the risotto and it slowly seeps back together. If your risotto is too thick, you can add more broth to thin it out.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as needed and serve immediately topped with fresh parsley.
*Warm up the vegetable broth in a pot on the stove or in the microwave. It doesn’t need to be boiling, just warm.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of the recipe
- Calories: 312
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 400mg
- Fat: 10.7g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 9g
Keywords: risotto with mushrooms, vegan risotto, vegetarian risotto