This Vegan Vodka Sauce Pasta is ready in 30 minutes and is made healthier than a traditional vodka sauce with a cashew cream sauce!
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup vodka (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups canned tomatoes (preferably San Marzano)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 8–10 oz pasta of choice (approx 250 grams)
- Soak the cashews in a bowl of hot water for 1 hour, then drain and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a pot or skillet on medium-high heat, then add the shallots and garlic and sautee on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the vodka let the alcohol evaporate, then add canned tomatoes, tomato, salt and pepper and mix everything together for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and let the tomateos simmer for 10-15 minutes. (This will help them build flavour)
- Transfer the tomato sauce to a blender with cashews, chili flakes and water. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions (don’t forget to salt the pasta water!), then add the pasta and sauce back to the pan and let cook together on medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes, until the sauce thickens and coats the pasta.
- Serve with additional chili flakes and fresh basil you like!
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 480
- Sugar: 5.7g
- Sodium: 100mg
- Fat: 16.4g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 64.7g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 14g
Keywords: Vegan vodka sauce, vegan penne a la vodka, vegan vodka pasta sauce, non dairy vodka sauce