This recipe for Crispy Baked Falafel is whipped up in a food processor for a healthy vegetarian meal you’ll love!
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp flour of choice (I use gluten-free flour)
- Soak the chickpeas in a bowl of water overnight, then drain. Add the chickpeas to a food processor with the rest of the ingredients.
- Puree the mixture until everything is well combined.
- Use a cookie scoop or spoon to scoop the falafel mixture and roll into even balls with your hands. Place on a baking sheet.
- Spray the falafel with an olive oil cooking spray and bake at 400 degrees for 22-25 minutes until golden brown on the outside.
- Serve right away while they’re still crispy!
Don’t substitute canned chickpeas for dried chickpeas in this recipe. They’ll have too much moisture in them and the falafel balls won’t come together properly.
If your falafel feels too wet, you can add an extra 1-2 tablespoons of flour to the mixture to help it bind together.
Shape the falafel into balls or patties if you prefer. (Patties are great if you’re putting the falafel in a pita!)
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 350
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: how to make falafel, homemade falafel, oven baked falafel, vegan falafel