Curried chickpea and quinoa stuffed acorn squash
- 1 acorn squash
- 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 15 oz chickpeas (1 can)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp madras curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- dash of cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice your acorn squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and season with a bit of salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Place your squash face down on some tin foil on your baking sheet, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until tender. (you should be able to poke through your squash with a fork)
- Meanwhile, cook your quinoa in a pot according to package directions.
- Once your squash and quinoa are cooked, Heat up olive oil in a large skillet and add onion and garlic. Cook on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add in your chickpeas and quinoa, and stir to combine.
- Using a large spoon, scoop out the squash from its peel, give it a rough chop, and toss it in the pan.(Set aside the squash shells for plating if desired) Your squash will begin to incorporate and almost “melt” into the dish.
- Next add crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, madras curry, cumin, garam masala, paprika, cayenne, brown sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Stir until combined.
- Serve your curry in the acorn shell, and top with fresh cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 578
- Sugar: 16g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 97g
- Fiber: 24g
- Protein: 27g
Keywords: Curried chickpea and quinoa stuffed acorn squash, stuffed squash recipe