A delicious classic mac and cheese that comes together in less than 15 minutes in your instant pot!
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth (can sub more water)
- 3 tbsp butter (can sub vegan butter)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 16 oz elbow macaroni (I use gluten-free macaroni)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (regular, whole, or dairy-free)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese of choice (sub vegan cheese)
- Turn the Instant pot on Saute, then add the water, broth, butter and pinch of salt and macaroni noodles. Gently mix together to make sure the macaroni is covered.
- Put the lid on and set it to sealing.
- Using the manual setting, set the Instant pot to 5 minutes. Then turn the lid to venting to do a quick release.
- Once it’s done releasing add the milk, garlic powder, onion powder and dry mustard and mix together.
- Next with the Instant Pot on warm mode, add the cheese, one handful at a time and continue to mix in until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately.
To make this recipe vegan, substitute vegan butter and your favourite vegan cheese.
Make sure to use elbow macaroni or pasta that is a similar size for this recipe. If you use a larger pasta like rigatoni, it may need longer to cook and you’ll end up with noodles that are undercooked.
For a super tasty mac and cheese, use a mix of water and vegetable broth as suggested. This will help flavour the noodles.
If storing leftovers, add a splash of milk when reheating to help loosen the noodles. Though I recommend eating mac and cheese the same day it’s made.
Keywords: how to make mac and cheese in an instant pot, easy mac and cheese recipe, instant pot mac and cheese recipe