This rich and luscious chia pudding has all the flavours you love in a lemon meringue pie!
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup plant milk of choice (I like a mix of almond milk & coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, almond milk or water
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- pinch of turmeric (optional but for colour)
- Start by preparing the chia pudding. Mix all the pudding ingredients together in a bowl until well combined. Cover and let sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour to gel. (or overnight)
- To make the lemon curd, add your liquid of choice, maple syrup and lemon zest together in a small pot on medium-low heat.
- Mix the lemon juice and cornstarch together in a separate bowl until incorporated (do NOT add the cornstarch directly to your heated liquid-it will clump!)
- Pour the lemon juice mixture into the pot and bring to a boil on medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture thickens remove from heat and let cool completely.
- To prepare the meringue, beat the egg whites or aquafaba and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Then add the sugar and vanilla and continue to beat for another 2 minutes.
- To assemble add some chia pudding to the bottom of a cup, followed by the lemon curd and top with the meringue.
- Place under the broiler for one minute to toast the meringue tops.
Use any leftover meringue to make some cookies!
Don’t add too much turmeric to the lemon curd layer otherwise, it will taste like turmeric. Just add a tiny pinch!
- Serving Size: 1 jar
- Calories: 445
- Sugar: 45g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 71g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: Chia pudding recipes, vegan lemon meringue pie