A Northern-style Thai Coconut Soup made with red curry, coconut, and loaded with noodles for a savoury cant-stop-eating soup you won’t be able to get enough of!
- 1 1/2 tbsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1-inch cube of ginger
- 1–2 tbsp of Thai red curry paste (*see note)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 Litre (4 cups) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk (full-fat from a can)
- 2–3 tbsp soy sauce (*gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (maple syrup or agave work too)
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 7oz rice noodles (about 1/2 a pack)
- cilantro to top
- Heat the avocado oil in a large pot on medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Next, add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute.
- Add the Thai red curry paste, curry powder and turmeric powder mixing everything together for 30 seconds and letting the curry paste cook slightly until aromatic.
- Add the vegetable broth, and coconut milk, soy sauce, coconut sugar and lime juice, and bring to a boil stirring everything together, then lower the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, cook the rice noodles according to package directions.
- Add the rice noodles to the soup.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and a lime wedge (optional)
Some brands of Thai curry paste are spicier than others. I’d recommend starting with 1 tbsp and then adding more as needed to your taste. Depending on how salty your vegetable broth is to start, you may need more or less soy sauce. Taste and adjust accordingly
Do not cook the noodles directly in the soup broth. If you do they will absorb all the broth and you’ll be left with no soup.
Store noodles and soup separately in the fridge for up to a week. (If you store the noodles in the soup broth, the noodles will become soggy.)
Store noodles and broth separately in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 268
- Sugar: 5g
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 3.2g
Keywords: Thai coconut soup, vegan Thai soup, vegetarian Thai soup, Vegan coconut soup