This Zucchini Involtini is packed with ricotta and tomato sauce for a low-carb delicious meal!
- 4 zucchinis
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 jar of your favourite tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil to garnish
- Prep the zucchini: Slice the zucchini lengthwise to be 1/4 inch thick, then toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake in the oven at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Make the filling: Mix the ricotta, parmesan, basil, garlic, salt, pepper and egg together in a bowl until combined.
- Make the rolls: Fill each slice of zucchini with some stuffing then roll-up. Cover the bottom of an oven-safe pan or baking dish with tomato sauce, then place the zucchini rolls in the pan. Top with a touch more sauce, then top with cheese.
- Bake: Bake in the oven at 400 degrees F for 8-10 minutes until warmed through and the cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh basil.
Try to purchase thick and uniform-sized zucchinis for this recipe. This will make them easier to stuff and will ensure that all your rolls are even in size.
Use a mandolin to slice to zucchini for easy slices. You can also use a vegetable peeler or a sharp knife to cut the slices.
Don’t slice the zucchini *too* thin, about 1/4 inch thick will do. When the zucchini cooks in the oven it will become thinner on its own, so if you cut it too thin, to begin with it will be difficult to work with when it’s time to make your rolls.
Don’t oversauce the zucchini in the pan, otherwise the dish can become a bit watery.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 438
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 24.2g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 22.6g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Protein: 31g
Keywords: zucchini roll ups, zucchini involtini, zucchini lasagna