This vibrant pink hummus is as delicious as looks and loaded with roasted beets!
Roasted Beetroot Hummus
- 2 medium beets
- 15oz can chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3–1/2 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse, scrub and cut off the root of the beets and loosely wrap them in foil. place the beets in the oven and roast for 30-45 minutes until tender. Remove and let cool.
- Drain and rinse the can of chickpeas and remove the skins by gently rolling the chickpeas in a clean kitchen towel. The skins will naturally come off.
- Discard the skins and place the chickpeas in a pot of boiling water with 1/2 tsp baking soda and cook for 5 minutes until chickpeas are soft, then remove from heat, drain and let cool.
- Add the beets, chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, and salt in a food processor and blend for 1 minute, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. (I use this food processor for this recipe)
- With the food processor running, slowly add some water, starting with 1/4 cup, and adding more if needed for a creamy texture. (*Add more water if you like a smoother texture, less for a thicker texture)
- Serve and enjoy!
. Beets that have been boiled will have little to no colour left in them, and when you make the hummus you’ll end up with a very dull pink.
Blend, and then blend some more! Hummus needs a good couple minutes in the food processor for everything to get smooth and really come together.
Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Depending on if your chickpeas are pre-salted and your personal taste, you may want a bit more salt, cumin, or lemon in your hummus.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 3g
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: homemade hummus, hummus with beets