These Black Bean And Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are easy to make and perfect for a cozy filling meal with Mexican-inspired flavours!
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tbsp chipotles in adobo, chopped
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- salt & pepper to taste
- Sliced avocado
- Shredded cheese (regular or dairy-free)
- Sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a fork to poke some holes in the sweet potatoes then place the potatoes on the baking sheet and bake for 45-50 minutes until tender.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, prepare the filling.
- Heat the vegetable oil in large pan on medium-high heat, then add the onions and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the tomato paste, chipotles, chilli powder, cumin powder, salt and pepper and mix all together for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, black beans and quinoa and mix everything together until combined.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, remove them from the oven, cut in half, and scoop out some of the potato to make space for the stuffing. (I scoop out about 1/2 the potato and leave the rest)
- Add the scooped out potato to the black bean filling and mix together.
- Stuff the potatoes with the black bean filling and serve.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
Chipotle peppers in adobo can be a little spicy! If you’re sensitive to spicy food, start with 1 tbsp.
Use big even-sized sweet potatoes. You want to make sure the sweet potatoes have enough room in them to stuff.
Short on time? Microwave the sweet potatoes for 3-5 minutes and then finish cooking them in the oven at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. This will save you about 20-30 minutes of cooking time.
Add some cheese on top. Whether using regular or vegan cheese, add some shredded cheese on top and place in the oven on broil for 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serving Size: 1 potato
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 5g
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 12g
Keywords: stuffed sweet potatoes, black bean sweet potatoes, sweet potato stuffed with black beans, quinoa stuffed sweet potatoes, vegan stuffed sweet potatoes