This Chickpea Pumpkin Curry is cozy and delicious and can be made in a slow cooker, Instant Pot or a regular pot on the stove!
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp tamari (can use soy sauce or GF soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (can sub maple syrup)
- 2 cups pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup spinach
- 4 tbsp crushed peanuts
- cilantro to garnish
- rice to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium-high heat, then add the onions and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the garlic, letting cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, red curry paste, soy sauce, coconut sugar to the slow cooker and mix until combined.
- Next add the onions & garlic, pumpkin, sweet potato and chickpeas mixing everything together.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours.
- 10 minutes before serving, add in the spinach and mix into the curry. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice and top with crushed peanuts and cilantro.
Depending on the brand of tamari or soy sauce you use, you may need to add slightly more (some brands are saltier than others.) so taste the final dish and adjust as needed.
so everything cooks evenly.
When choosing a Thai red curry paste, make sure to read the label. Some brands of curry pastes contain shrimp paste in them. I use the Thai Kitchen brand which is vegetarian.
If making this in a slow cooker, do not skip out on sauteeing the onions and garlic beforehand! This is important to build flavour in the dish. You won’t get the same flavour by adding them raw to the slow cooker.
If you’d like to make this in a regular pot or Instant Pot, the directions are written in the recipe post.
Serve this recipe topped with fresh cilantro and crushed peanuts. (highly recommended)
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 376
- Sugar: 17g
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 70g
- Fiber: 13g
- Protein: 12g
Keywords: vegan pumpkin curry, Thai pumpkin curry, slow cooker curry recipe