This is the BEST butternut squash soup! Loaded with spicy Thai flavour for a creamy soup that is healthy and naturally vegan!
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 1/2 tbsp of avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1–2 tbsp of red curry paste
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1-litre vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (optional)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup (can sub honey, agave…etc.)
- coconut milk, cilantro & sesame seeds to garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Cut the squash in half and place face down on the baking pan. Bake for 25-35 minutes until the squash is tender.
- Add the avocado oil to a pot on medium-high heat.
- Once heated, add the onions and saute for 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the garlic.
- Using a spoon, remove seeds from the squash, and then scoop out the squash into the pot. Discard the squash shells.
- Mix everything together well then add the curry paste, curry powder and pepper.
- Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, soy sauce and maple syrup and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, then cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender (or use an emulsion blender) to puree the soup.
- Garnish with coconut milk, cilantro and sesame seeds.
If you are pressed for time, you can miscrowave the butternut squash until tender. (Though roasted butternut squash has better flavour!)
This soup freezes well! Freeze any leftovers to have on hand the next time your in need of some soup!
Red curry pastes can vary in spiciness depending on the brand you use. Start with 1 tbsp and add more to your desired taste. (I use this brand and used 2 tbsp)
Use gluten-free soy sauce if needed.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: how to make butternut squash soup, dairy-free butternut squash soup, vegan butternut squash soup