This Sri Lankan Style Dal is a delicious healthy recipe that is vegan and gluten-free and perfect for a simple weeknight dinner!
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red alaea sea salt
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 2-inch cube ginger, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp curry leaves
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp rainbow peppercorns
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- *additional salt & pepper to taste
- Add the red lentils, water, turmerc, salt and onion to a pot and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover and let simmer for 20-30 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and add the garlic, ginger and spices, letting everything toast for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the spices to the pot of lentils along with the coconut milk and mix everything together. Let simmer on low for 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust any seasoning if needed
Don’t forget to rinse your lentils! Red lentils can have a bitter taste to them if they are not rinsed prior to use. Rinse them well in a strainer until you see the water run clear.
Don’t shy away from the spices. The spices are important to flavour this recipe. If you don’t have the whole spices on hand, you can always substitute for powdered spices.
Use full-fat coconut milk. Light coconut milk or bottled coconut milk for drinking doesn’t have the same fat content in it, and won’t create the same rich and creamy texture in the Dal.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 280
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 200mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 16g
- Protein: 14g
Keywords: Dal with coconut, Dal sri lanka