These vegan carrot cake cupcakes are topped with a homemade coconut whipped cream for a delicious treat!
- 2 cups white spelt flour (can sub regular flour for 1-1- gluten-free flour)
- 1/2 cup+2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed oil (coconut oil or vegetable oil work too)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
Coconut whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin pan with liners sprayed with cooking spray.
- Mix the spelt flour, cane sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and orange zest together in a bowl
- Next, add the shredded carrots, sunflower seed oil, and applesauce and orange juice and mix until combined.
- Stir in the raisins and walnuts and mix until well combined.
- Bake for 23-27 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- To make the coconut whipped cream, remove the can from the fridge and scoop out just the cream on top (the cream and liquid will have separated in the fridge)
- Add the vanilla extract and cane sugar and whip on high until smooth and the whipped cream forms soft peaks
- Add the whipped coconut cream to a piping bag and place back in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up while the cupcakes cool.
- Pipe onto the cupcakes.
Don’t overmix the batter. Overmixing the batter can lead to tough cupcakes
If preparing these cupcakes in advance, prepare the cupcakes first and store them in the fridge, then make the whipped topping right before serving.
Make sure to spray your muffin liners with cooking spray to prevent the batter from sticking.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 15g
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: vegan carrot cake, vegan cupcakes