Say hello to the ultimate comfort food! This mac and cheese is the best!
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight then drained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 250 grams pasta of choice (I used cavatappi)
- 1/2 cup Carrington Farms Crounons, crushed
- Add the cashews, water, nutritional yeast, dijon mustard, salt and pepper to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Heat the avocado oil in a pan on medium-high heat, then add the onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the garlic and jalapenos and cook for another minute.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the cream cheese and cashew sauce to the pan, stirring until everything is well incorporated.
- Add the pasta and 1/2 cup of pasta water to the pan and mix everything together, letting cook for 2-3 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Transfer the mac and cheese to a baking dish and top with the crushed Crounons.
- Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes (keep a close eye on it!) until browned.
- Remove and serve.
Salt your pasta water to give your pasta some extra flavour!
If you can’t find vegan cream cheese you can just omit it from this recipe.
- Calories: 395
- Sugar: 4g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 13g
Keywords: vegan mac and cheese recipe, how to make mac and cheese vegan