Vegetable barley soup is a hearty vegetarian soup made with barley, potatoes and vegetables for a filling and nourishing meal!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup barley, rinsed and drained
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp Herbs De Province
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup peas or edamame beans (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium-high heat, then add the onions and garlic and sautee for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the carrots, celery and potato and stir together, letting sautee for another 2 minutes.
- Add the barley, vegetable broth, herbs de province, bay leaves, salt and pepper and mix, bringing the mixture to a boil for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to low then cover and let simmer for 45-60 minutes until the barley is tender
- Optionally stir in some frozen peas or edamame beans and let cook in the soup for 5 minutes before serving.
Store leftovers in the fridge for 7 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
If you want to quicken the cooking process, soak the barley in water overnight then drain and proceed with the recipe. This will soften the barley and cut the cooking time in half.
If you want the soup to cook faster, you can soak the barley in water overnight before making the soup. This will soften the barley and make it cook faster in the soup.
Use hulled barley for a soup that is higher in fiber and nutrition, and pearl barley if you prefer a lighter taste.
I recommend using low-sodium vegetable broth so you can add more salt as needed. (Some brands of vegetable broth I find to be overly salted)
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 9g
Keywords: barley soup, vegetarian barley soup, vegan barley soup, vegetable barley soup