This Vegetarian Baked Ziti is made with layers of pasta, sauce and ricotta for a delicious comforting meal!
- 8–10 ounces of ziti, penne or rigatoni, cooked al dente
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups spinach (optional)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozerella cheese
- fresh basil or parsley to top
- Heat the olive oil in a medium non-stick pan and add the garlic cloves, letting cook on medium heat for 1-2 minutes before adding the chopped tomateos, spinach, orgenao, chilli flakes, salt and pepper.
- Stir the sauce together and let cook down on low for 5 minutes.
- Mix the ricotta and parmesan cheese together. Set aside.
- To assemble the baked ziti, start by layering sauce in a 9×13 baking tray, followed by the pasta, and the ricotta. Repeat until the dish is full then top with shredded mozerella cheese.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Top with fresh basil or parsley and serve.
Cook the pasta to al dente. The pasta will continue to cook in the oven, so you don’t want to overcook it in the pot. Salt the pasta water. Salting pasta water helps to add flavour to the noodles and will result in a super flavourful baked ziti. Use good quality cheese. Parmesano Reggiano and a creamy ricotta work best. If you don’t want to make homemade sauce, you can use a jar of your favourite pre-made pasta sauce.
- Serving Size: 1/6th recipe
- Calories: 315
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 18g
Keywords: vegetarian baked ziti recipe, healthy baked ziti, vegetarian baked pasta