The perfect dinner to make for a date night or dinner with friends!
Roasted butternut squash puree:
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups short grain brown rice (or arborio rice)
- 2 tsp butter or dairy-free butter
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4-6 cups vegetable broth, heated (in a pot or microwave)
- 1/2 cup butternut squash puree
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- a generous handful of grated parmesan cheese (or dairy-free cheese for vegan)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Cut the butternut squash in half and place face down on the baking pan.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until the squash is tender. Remove and let cool.
- Remove the seeds and peel and transfer the squash to a blender. blend until smooth.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook 3-4 minutes, until translucent. Then add the garlic and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and butter and mix together, letting the rice toast for about a minute, then add in the wine and cook until the liquid has evaporated.
- Slowly add the broth, a 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently until the liquid is completely absorbed before adding more broth.
- Cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until the rice is al dente. Add broth, as needed.
- When the risotto is almost done, add in the butternut squash, nutmeg, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Divide into bowls. Garnish with sage and extra parmesan if desired.
To test if the consistency of your risotto is right, run a spoon through the risotto in the pan. If it slowly seeps back together you’ve got the consistency you want!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 291
- Sugar: 8g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 11g
Keywords: how to make risotto, can you reheat risotto, risotto with butternut squash