These Copycat easy chipotle sofritas take less than 30 minutes to make for a healthy dinner that’s vegan and gluten-free!
- 1 pack extra-firm tofu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika (can sub regular paprika)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise of choice (vegan or regular)
- 1–2 tbsp chipotle sauce (from the can of chipotles)
- Rice of choice
- black beans
- shredded lettuce
- Drain the tofu and press between paper towels to remove any excess liquid, then cut into large cubes and add to a food processor. Pulse to break apart the tofu until crumbled.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and let cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the tofu and spices and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Blend the chipotle peppers, crushed tomatoes and brown sugar together then pour the sauce into the pan.
- Mix together until everything is incorporated, about 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- To prepare the chipotle mayo, mix together the chipotle sauce with your favourite mayo.
Use firm or extra-firm tofu for this recipe. Softer tofus have more liquid in them and won’t brown well in the pan.
You can use a food processor to crumble the tofu or just crumble the tofu by hand. If using a food processor don’t overmix the tofu.
If you don’t have a high tolerance for spicy food, start with just one chipotle pepper in adobo, you can always add more spice if you like!
Store leftovers in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 3 days
*Nutrition information based on the sofrtias only
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: copycat chipotle sofritas, homemade chipotle sofritas, sofritas, what is sofrtias, how to make sofritas