This soup is full of flavour and delicious with fresh corn from the farmer’s market!
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight then drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 ears of corn, kernels removed from the cob (approx 3 cups)
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- fresh parsley or thyme to garnish
- Start by preparing the cashew cream. Blend the soaked cashews and 1/2 cup of water together until creamy and smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large pot on medium-high heat then add the onions and garlic, letting cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the celery, carrot, salt pepper and dried thyme mixing all together and letting cook for 5-6 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the corn, potato, cashew cream, and vegetable broth and mix all together. Bring to a boil mixing together for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend 1/3 of the soup and then add it back to the pot mixing everything together until smooth and creamy.
- Serve with fresh parsley or thyme.
Use fresh corn from the farmer’s market if possible for best results. Make sure to let your onions, garlic, celery and carrots have enough time to cook down. This is where the flavour is built! Blending 1/3 of the soup is completely optional but will give you a creamier corn chowder. If you’d like a nut-free option for this soup, use coconut cream in place of the cashew cream.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 500mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: dairy-free corn chowder, vegan corn chowder, healthy corn chowder