This Vegan Corn Chowder is full of flavour and delicious with fresh corn from the farmer’s market. Enjoy it for lunch, an appetizer or a light meal!
- 1/3 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight then drained
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp herbs de Provence (can sub dried thyme)
- 4 ears of corn, kernels removed from the cob (approx 3 cups)
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- fresh herbs to garnish (optional)
- Start by preparing the cashew cream. In a high-speed blender, blend the soaked cashews and water together until creamy and smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot on medium-high heat then add the onions and garlic, letting cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the celery, carrot, salt pepper and dried herbs mixing all together and letting cook for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the corn, potato, cashew cream, and vegetable broth and mix them all together. Bring to a boil mixing together for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend 1/3 of the soup and then add it back to the pot mixing everything together until smooth and creamy.
- Serve with fresh herbs.
If you make this dish during the summer, it’s best with fresh corn from the farmer’s market. (If needed, you can always substitute frozen or canned corn.)
Blending 1/3 of the soup is completely optional but will give you a creamier corn chowder. If you’d like a nut-free option for this soup, use coconut cream in place of the cashew cream.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 350mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 40.2g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: dairy-free corn chowder, vegan corn chowder, healthy corn chowder