Vegan Corn Chowder
This Vegan Corn Chowder is healthy and super creamy and can be made in under 30 minutes! Made with fresh summer ingredients and just one pot, it’s perfect for a healthy lunch, appetizer or dinner.
This soup is loaded with fresh corn from the farmer’s market, potatoes and veggies for a delicious hearty soup that features fresh ingredients.
It can be made off-season too using frozen or canned corn! Corn is one of those summer ingredients I love to buy at the Farmer’s Market to cook with or just eat straight off the cobb. While my usual go-to is to make cornbread, for a cozy summer night I love making creamy corn chowder.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It uses cashews to make this soup extra creamy rather than adding flour as a thickener, or using coconut milk.
- All of the ingredients are fresh, but you can also use frozen ingredients if you can’t get them fresh.
- This soup is delicious both hot and at room temperature, if you don’t like eating hot food in the summertime.
Key ingredients you’ll need
- Raw Cashews-this recipe uses raw cashews to create a homemade cashew cream that will substitute using dairy cream in this recipe. The cashews have a verry neutral flavour so they don’t overpower the taste of the corn.
- Corn-fresh corn is best if you can get your hands on it, but if not you can still make this recipe with canned for frozen corn all year round.
- Yukon gold potato-this is the best type of potato to use for this soup that will be really creamy and help thicken up the soup. you can substitute any type of white potato if needed.
- Carrots-adding carrots to this soup adds great flavour and also helps give the soup a pop of colour.
- Onions & garlic-can you really make a soup without these? Make sure to use fresh onions and garlic in this recipe
- Vegetable broth-any type you love. I recommend using a low-sodium vegetable broth and then adding your own salt to seaon the soup. This will give you more control over how salty the corn chowder comes out.
How to make Vegan Corn Chowder
Heat the oil in a pot then add onions, garlic, carrots and celery and sautee the vegetables until tender. While the veggies cook, cut the corn off the cobs and peel the potato.
Add the corn, potato and cashew cream to the pot and mix everything together until combined.
Next, add the broth and seasoning and bring the soup to a boil, then cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Optionally transfer 1/3 of the soup to a blender, or use a hand blender to lightly puree some of the soup to thicken.
The secret to a creamy dairy-free corn chowder
Corn chowder is typically made with cream in it, and sometimes a roux (a mixture of flour, butter and milk) to get that rich and creamy texture.
Since this corn chowder is vegan, we use soaked cashews blended with a bit of water to replace the cream. The cashews add some richness without adding any additional flavour, like using coconut milk would.
- Use fresh corn from the farmer’s market for best results. Good quality corn will give you a sweet, light and fresh soup. If needed you can always substitute with frozen or canned corn.
- Make sure to use raw unsalted cashews to make the cashew cream. If the cashews are roasted, they won’t work properly.
- Blending 1/3 of the soup and add it back to pot mixing everything together will give you a creamier soup. If you prefer a chunkier soup, you can leave it unblended.
- Fridge: store leftover soup in an sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave
- Freezer: store leftover soup in a saled container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Let defrost on the counter, or drefrost in the microwave.
More soup recipes to try
- Vegan Cream Of Asaparagus Soup
- Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Weeknight Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
- Vegan Stuffed Pepper Soup
If you tried this Vegan Corn Chowder or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This Vegan Corn Chowder is full of flavour and delicious with fresh corn from the farmer’s market. Enjoy it for lunch, an appetizer or a light meal!
- 1/3 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight then drained
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp herbs de Provence (can sub dried thyme)
- 4 ears of corn, kernels removed from the cob (approx 3 cups)
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- fresh herbs to garnish (optional)
- Start by preparing the cashew cream. In a high-speed blender, blend the soaked cashews and water together until creamy and smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot on medium-high heat then add the onions and garlic, letting cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the celery, carrot, salt pepper and dried herbs mixing all together and letting cook for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the corn, potato, cashew cream, and vegetable broth and mix them all together. Bring to a boil mixing together for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend 1/3 of the soup and then add it back to the pot mixing everything together until smooth and creamy.
- Serve with fresh herbs.
If you make this dish during the summer, it’s best with fresh corn from the farmer’s market. (If needed, you can always substitute frozen or canned corn.)
Blending 1/3 of the soup is completely optional but will give you a creamier corn chowder. If you’d like a nut-free option for this soup, use coconut cream in place of the cashew cream.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 350mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 40.2g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: dairy-free corn chowder, vegan corn chowder, healthy corn chowder