Vegan Corn Chowder
This Vegan Corn Chowder is healthy and super creamy and can be made in under 30 minutes! Made with fresh summer ingredients and just one pot, it’s perfect for a healthy lunch, appetizer or dinner.
Vegan corn soup
If you love fresh corn in the summertime then you’re going to love this vegan corn chowder soup! It’s loaded with fresh corn from the farmer’s market, potatoes and veggies for a delicious hearty soup that is flavourful and delicious.
While this soup is best made with fresh corn, you can also make it with frozen or canned corn if needed. If you have extra corn feel free to pair this soup with a batch of vegan cornbread!
Why you’ll love this vegetarian corn chowder
- Extra creamy broth. This corn chowder recipe is made with raw cashews that make the soup extra creamy without the addition of ingredients like flour or coconut milk.
- Fresh ingredients. All of the ingredients used in this recipe are fresh from the farmer’s market, making it the perfect summer soup. (But you can also use frozen ingredients if you can’t get them fresh.)
- Freezer-friendly. Make a double batch of this corn chowder and freeze some for later! This soup freezes beautifully so you can store it for another time.
Vegan corn chowder ingredients
- Raw Cashews: this recipe uses raw cashews to create a homemade cashew cream that will substitute using dairy cream in this recipe. The cashews have a very neutral flavour so they don’t overpower the taste of the corn.
- Corn: fresh corn is best if you can get your hands on it, but if not you can still make this recipe with canned for frozen corn all year round.
- Yukon gold potato: this is the best type of potato to use for this soup that will be really creamy and help thicken up the soup. you can substitute any type of white potato if needed.
- Carrots: adding carrots to this soup adds great flavour and also helps give the soup a pop of colour.
- Onions & garlic: can you really make a soup without these? Make sure to use fresh onions and garlic in this recipe
- Vegetable broth: any type you love. I recommend using a low-sodium vegetable broth and then adding your own salt to season the soup. This will give you more control over how salty the corn chowder comes out.
How to make Vegan Corn Chowder
Heat the oil in a pot then add onions, garlic, carrots and celery and sautee the vegetables until tender. While the veggies cook cut the corn off the cobs and peel the potato.
Next add the corn, potato and cashew cream to the pot and mix everything together until combined.
Add the vegetable broth and seasoning and bring the soup to a boil, then cover and let it simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. You can optionally transfer 1/3 of the soup to a blender (or use an emulsion blender) and blend until smooth. Then add the blended soup back to the pot and mix together.
The secret to a creamy dairy-free corn chowder
Corn chowder is typically made with cream in it, and sometimes a roux (a mixture of flour, butter and milk) to get that rich and creamy texture.
Since this corn chowder is vegan, it uses soaked cashews blended with a bit of water to replace the cream. The cashews add richness and creaminess to the soup. If you prefer to make this soup nut-free, you can also use coconut cream in place of the cashews.
Expert tips for making corn chowder
- Fresh corn is best. Use fresh corn from the farmer’s market for best results. Good quality corn will give you a sweet, light and fresh soup. If needed you can always substitute with frozen or canned corn.
- Use raw unsalted cashews for the cashew cream. Make sure to use raw unsalted cashews to make the cashew cream. Don’t use roasted or salted cashews.
- Blend 1/3 of the soup. Blending 1/3 of the soup and adding it back to the pot will give you a creamier soup. If you prefer a chunkier soup, you can leave it unblended.
- Add any veggies or seasoning you love. Feel free to add any vegetables, spices, herbs or seasoning you love to this corn chowder!
How to store
- Fridge: store leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Freezer: store leftover soup in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Let defrost on the counter, or defrost in the microwave.
Vegan corn chowder FAQ
Yes! If you prefer to make this recipe without cashews you can substitute for one cup of full-fat coconut milk.
Corn chowder can be thickened in a few different ways. One common way to thicken corn chowder is by making a roux. (a mixture of flour, butter and milk) Another way you can thicken corn chowder is by mixing 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch with equal parts of water and adding it to the soup. For this particular recipe, the soup is thickened from raw cashew milk.
This corn chowder can be served on its own or is delicious served with some crusty bread, a side salad, or grilled tofu!
Try these soup recipes next!
- Vegan Cream Of Asaparagus Soup
- Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Weeknight Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
- Vegan Stuffed Pepper Soup
If you tried this Vegan Corn Chowder or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This Vegan Corn Chowder is full of flavour and delicious with fresh corn from the farmer’s market. Enjoy it for lunch, an appetizer or a light meal!
- 1/3 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight then drained
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp herbs de Provence (can sub dried thyme)
- 4 ears of corn, kernels removed from the cob (approx 3 cups)
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- fresh herbs to garnish (optional)
- Start by preparing the cashew cream. In a high-speed blender, blend the soaked cashews and water together until creamy and smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot on medium-high heat then add the onions and garlic, letting cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the celery, carrot, salt pepper and dried herbs mixing all together and letting cook for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the corn, potato, cashew cream, and vegetable broth and mix them all together. Bring to a boil mixing together for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend 1/3 of the soup and then add it back to the pot mixing everything together until smooth and creamy.
- Serve with fresh herbs.
If you make this dish during the summer, it’s best with fresh corn from the farmer’s market. (If needed, you can always substitute frozen or canned corn.)
Blending 1/3 of the soup is completely optional but will give you a creamier corn chowder. If you’d like a nut-free option for this soup, use coconut cream in place of the cashew cream.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 350mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 40.2g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: dairy-free corn chowder, vegan corn chowder, healthy corn chowder