This vegan corn chowder is healthy and super creamy and can be made in under 30 minutes! Made with fresh summer ingredients and just 1 pot, its a great weeknight meal that will satisfy the entire family.
This vegan corn chowder is an old recipe from the blog that has been updated to make it even better!
This soup is loaded with fresh corn from the farmer’s market, potatoes and veggies for a delicious hearty soup that features fresh ingredients. It can be made off-season too using frozen or canned corn! I just love corn recipes in the summer, and you’ll see why here.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It uses cashews to make this soup extra creamy rather than adding flour as a thickener, or using coconut milk.
- All of the ingredients are fresh, but you can also use frozen ingredients if you can’t get them fresh.
- This soup is delicious both hot and at room temperature, if you don’t like eating hot food in the summertime.
The secret to a creamy dairy-free corn chowder
Corn chowder is typically made with cream in it, and sometimes a roux (a mixture of flour, butter and milk) to get that rich and creamy texture.
Since this corn chowder is vegan, we use soaked cashews blended with a bit of water to replace the cream. The cashews add some richness without adding any additional flavour, like using coconut milk would.
How to make a vegan corn chowder
- Heat some oil in a large pot and sautee the onions, garlic, celery and carrots and seasoning cooking until tender.
- Next add the corn and potatoes and let cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cashew cream and broth and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer on low for 15 minutes, then transfer 1/3 of the soup to a blender, blending until smooth then adding back to the pot.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Use fresh corn from the farmer’s market for best results. Good quality corn will give you a sweet, light and fresh soup.
- Give your onions, garlic, celery and carrots time to cook down before adding the rest of the ingredients. This is where the flavour is built.
- Blending 1/3 of the soup and add it back to pot mixing everything together will give you a creamier soup.
- Use fresh herbs like parsley and thyme or compliment the flavour of the corn.
Other soup recipes to try
If you tried this vegan corn chowder or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This soup is full of flavour and delicious with fresh corn from the farmer’s market!
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight then drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 ears of corn, kernels removed from the cob (approx 3 cups)
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- fresh parsley or thyme to garnish
- Start by preparing the cashew cream. Blend the soaked cashews and 1/2 cup of water together until creamy and smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large pot on medium-high heat then add the onions and garlic, letting cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the celery, carrot, salt pepper and dried thyme mixing all together and letting cook for 5-6 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the corn, potato, cashew cream, and vegetable broth and mix all together. Bring to a boil mixing together for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend 1/3 of the soup and then add it back to the pot mixing everything together until smooth and creamy.
- Serve with fresh parsley or thyme.
Use fresh corn from the farmer’s market if possible for best results. Make sure to let your onions, garlic, celery and carrots have enough time to cook down. This is where the flavour is built! Blending 1/3 of the soup is completely optional but will give you a creamier corn chowder. If you’d like a nut-free option for this soup, use coconut cream in place of the cashew cream.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 500mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: dairy-free corn chowder, vegan corn chowder, healthy corn chowder
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!