Filled with fresh corn on the cob, cauliflower, and potatoes, you’ll love this farmer’s market corn chowder for an easy and healthy summer dish!
There’s something about fresh corn on the cob that is a bit nostalgic for me. Probably because it’s something I grew up having as a kid at both my grandparents country house, and my parents country house. My family would always pick up a dozen corn from the market, so we could enjoy corn with every meal!
So now, every summer, I find myself at the farmer’s market each week buying a bag of fresh corn on the cob. Sometimes, I get little too excited and buy a few too many corn. (Along with a few too many of everything else at the market.) So I wanted to make a recipe that where I could use up some of my extra farmer’s market ingredients.
During the fall months, I love making a big batch of my roasted sweet potato cinnamon soup, but in the summer months, I like to make soups that utilize whatever fresh ingredients are available.
This farmer’s market corn chowder is a great dish loaded with all natural, and locally grown fresh vegetables. The beauty of this soup is you can add in whichever veggies you may have on hand. (maybe some zucchini or summer squash would be great!)
You can also definitely just use frozen veggies, or canned corn if it’s not the right season to buy these fresh.Print
Farmer’s market corn chowder
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped small
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped small
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 ears fresh corn, cut off the cob (approx 2 cups of corn if using frozen or canned)
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped small
- 1 medium potato, chopped into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the avocado oil in a large pot on medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, cook for 2 minutes, then lower to medium heat and let cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Next add the garlic, carrot, and celery, and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and water and bring to a boil.
- Add the corn, cauliflower, potato, bay leave, and thyme. Lower the heat to low, put the cover on and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Remove half the soup from the pot and place in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add back to the pot and stir together.
- Add the salt & pepper, fresh thyme and parsley.
- Serving Size: 1 small bowl
- Calories: 161
- Sugar: 6g
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: Farmer's market corn chowder, vegan corn chowder, how to make chowder