Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup
This Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup is made with fresh asparagus, leeks, potato and a homemade cashew cream for a delicious creamy soup you’ll love. This recipe is perfect for an appetizer or a light lunch and comes together in under 30 minutes.
Asparagus soup with leeks, potato and cashew cream
This recipe for Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup is made with a combination of asparagus, leeks, potato and a homemade cashew cream for the ultimate creamy asparagus soup.
Leeks are used instead of onions in this recipe for a milder and creamier texture compared to onions, and the potato helps to thicken up the soup.
Finally the actual “cream” in this soup is made from raw unsalted cashews. (Don’t use roasted cashews!) When raw cashews are soaked in water overnight, they become plump and soft and easy to blend up into a cream.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Olive oil: To sautee the vegetables.
- Leeks: instead of onions, for a silkier texture and softer flavour.
- Garlic: for extra flavour.
- Asparagus: the star ingredient of this dish!
- White potato: a small russet potato or any other potato you like.
- Vegetable broth: I recommend low sodium, so you can adjust the salt as needed.
- Thyme leaves: use fresh thyme if possible!
- Dill: fresh dill too!
- Raw Cashews: These MUST be raw and unsalted cashews.
- Salt & pepper: to season.
How to make this Vegan Asparagus Soup
Heat the olive oil in a pot then add the leeks and let them sauté for 2 minutes before adding the garlic and asparagus.
add the potato, broth and herbs and mix everything together, then let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes while you prepare the cashew cream by blending the cashews with some water.
Add the cashew cream to the pot and blend with a hand blender, or a regular blender until smooth and creamy.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This soup comes together in under 30 minutes
- This recipe is healthy, vegan, gluten-free and has 13 grams of protein per serving
- This recipe freezes well, so you can prepare a big batch and freeze it for whenever you want!
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Use asparagus that feel firm. This means they’re fresh and will result in a better-tasting soup than asparagus that feel a bit flimsy.
- Cut off the ends of the asparagus. This part of the asparagus is stalky and tough. These ends will naturally snap off if you bend the asparagus, but my a rule of thumb cut off at least the bottom inch and discard.
- Use low-sodium broth and adjust the saltiness as needed. Some brands of broth can be quite salty, so it’s always best to start with less salt and add more as you go.
More soup recipes to try
If you tried this Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup is made with fresh asparagus, leeks, potato and a homemade cashew cream for a delicious creamy soup you’ll love!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, chopped into 2-inch slices
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 pounds Asparagus, ends cut off
- 1 small russet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1-litre vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- handful freshly chopped dill
- 1/3 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked in water overnight then drained
- 3/4 cup water
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium-high heat then add the chopped leek and let cook for 2 minutes until it starts to brown.
- Add in the garlic and asparagus and mix together, again letting the asparagus slightly brown for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the potato, vegetable broth, thyme and dill and bring to a boil mixing everything together.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the cashew cream by blending the soaked raw cashews and 3/4 cup of water together in a high-speed blender until smooth. (You’ll want to blend for a good 60 seconds!)
- After 15 minutes, pour the cashew cream into the soup and use a hand blender to blend, or pour the soup into the blender with the cashew cream and blend until smooth.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve with extra cashew cream and some steamed asparagus.
This means they’re fresh and will result in a better-tasting soup than asparagus that feel a bit flimsy.
Cut off the ends of the asparagus. This part of the asparagus is stalky and tough. These ends will naturally snap off if you bend the asparagus, but my a rule of thumb cut off at least the bottom inch and discard.
Use low-sodium broth and adjust the saltiness as needed. Some brands of broth can be quite salty, so it’s always best to start with less salt and add more as you go.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 500mg
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Protein: 13g
Keywords: vegan asparagus soup, dairy free cream of asparagus soup