This vegan stuffed pepper soup has all the flavour you love in stuffed peppers loaded into a hearty & warming bowl of soup!
So let me guess. American Thanksgiving is coming up tomorrow and most of you have probably been pretty busy in the kitchen prepping away to make all sorts of Thanksgiving recipes for tomorrow and now you’re feeling pretty darn lazy to prepare dinner
Don’t worry, I gotchu 😉
Vegan stuffed pepper soup. aka the dinner you never knew you needed on your weekly rotation until now.
This is another one of those
Besides being hella easy this soup also packs some serious stuffed pepper flavour. We’ve got red peppers, (duh) crushed tomatoes, lentils, and brown rice that come together and simmer away into this deliciousness.
A few notes on this recipe:
This vegan stuffed pepper soup is made with simple ingredients that can be modified to your liking. If you prefer green peppers, you can go ahead and use those instead of red peppers. If you prefer white rice, and you can just substitute that for brown rice. Choice is up to you!
As the soup cooks, the rice will absorb more of the liquid. If you leave the soup to simmer for a couple of hours, or let it sit overnight, it will thicken up quite a bit. (still totally delicious this way) If you want to thin it out a bit, simply add a little more vegetable broth.
This vegan stuffed pepper soup is:
- Naturally vegan & gluten-free
- Loaded with filling protein & whole-grains
- Easy peasy to make for a simple weeknight dinner.
All the flavour you love of stuffed peppers in a SOUP!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 red peppers, chopped (with seeds & stems removed)
- 3/4 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1 can lentils (14oz)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 L vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- salt & pepper to taste
- Parsley to top
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium-high heat
- Add the onion and let cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic and red pepper and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 30-40 minutes until the rice is tender and cooked.
- Serve with parsley
If you store the soup in the fridge overnight, the rice will continue to absorb liquid and the soup will thicken slightly. Add a bit more broth if you prefer the soup thinner. You can freeze any leftovers of this soup in an airtight container.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 204
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 13g
- Protein: 11g
Keywords: vegan stuffed peppers, healthy vegan soup recipes