It’s time to get cozy with a big bowl of this one pot vegan minestrone soup! This hearty soup comes together in less than 30 minutes and is loaded with potatoes, beans, pasta, and more!
Well, it happened…today it’s cold outside.
I was enjoying the unusually warm Fall weather up until now, but the colder weather definitely makes me excited for all the cozy Fall and Winter recipes to come!
I don’t know about you, but when the cold weather starts I suddenly go into hibernation mode. All I want to do is stay home, eat warming foods, read, watch movies, and cuddle up with my pets. There’s actually kind of a term for it called hygge, a danish practice that is now trending across North America too! (I’m all for any trend that involves wearing pyjamas!)
Of course of my favourite things to eat in the fall is soups. I especially love making soups on Sundays, (meal prep day for me) and having a big batch in my fridge to make a quick and easy dinner for busy weeknights.
One thing I particularly love about this one pot vegan minestrone soup is that it’s a full on meal. It’s loaded with hearty ingredients like beans, potatoes, pasta, and veggies to keep you full and satisfied. It’s really a perfect balance of plant-based protein and carbs!
Another thing I love about this recipe is that it only requires one pot to make! (I know, probably obvious from the name…) But seriously, who doesn’t love using minimal amounts of dishes and having an easy clean up? It’s just a win all around!
You can also mix up this recipe and add whatever types of veggies you have on hand. I’d recommend trying it with some sweet potato, zucchini, green beans, or even some fall squash! You can also feel free to add in any fresh herbs you have on hand!
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 cup green cabbage, shredded
- 1 potato, cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup gluten-free penne pasta (or any pasta you prefer)
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 big handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the avocado oil in a large pot on medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and salt and cook for 2-3 minutes, until translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the garlic, celery, carrots, and cabbage. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the, potato, dried oregano, dried thyme, bay leaves, vegetable broth, and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil and mix all together.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the pasta. Cover and let cook for 6 minutes, then reduce heat to low and let cook another 10 minutes. Add the kidney beans last.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste, and garnish with fresh parsley
Tips & suggestions:
- Depending on the pasta you add, it may absorb more liquid. Simply add a bit more broth if this happens
- Try adding your favourite Fall veggies to this soup
- If you like this one pot vegan minestrone soup be sure to also check out my spiced carrot, lentil, and sweet potato soup!
This post contains affiliate links. I only recommend products I know, trust and love!