One Pan Mexican Quinoa
This One Pan Mexican Quinoa comes together in under 30 minutes, is easy to make, and uses minimal dishes! This recipe will quickly become one of your go-to weeknight dinners.
Quinoa with black beans and veggies
This recipe for One Pan Mexican Quinoa is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner when you don’t have a lot of time to cook.
This recipe can also be made as a One-Pot Mexican Quinoa with the same instructions as you would to make it in a pan. (Just make sure to use a medium-large pot!)
Ingredients you’ll need
- Quinoa: the star ingredient of this recipe! Quinoa is great because it cooks up much faster than rice or other grains.
- Onion: for flavour
- Red peppers: you can really use any colour pepper you like!
- Jalapeno pepper: to add some heat.
- Corn: canned, fresh or frozen all work.
- Black beans: canned or dried. (If using dried, cook them according to package directions before using them)
- Salsa: your favourite kind will work just fine!
- Vegetable stock: to cook everything together
- Chili powder: to season
How to make this recipe
Start by sautéing the onions and peppers together in pan for 2-3 minutes until they start to soften.
Add the corn, beans and seasoning and mix it all together, letting cook for another 2 minutes.
Add the quinoa, salsa and broth and bring it all to a boil, then cover and let simmer on low for 15 minutes. Fluff up the quinoa with a fork once it’s cooked.
Different ways to serve
You can enjoy this One Pan Mexican Quinoa just as it is, or you can use it in creative ways!
- Try adding in any of your favourite protein to it or melted cheese (regular or dairy-free for a vegan option)
- Use this Mexican quinoa as a filling for burritos or tacos
- Enjoy it baked as a casserole! Add any extra ingredients you like, put it in a baking dish and top it off with cheese and bake!
How to store
Store leftovers in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 5 ways. Reheat it in a pan on the stove or in the microwave.
This recipe can also be frozen in an air-tight container. Let it defrost naturally on the countertop.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- If you’re using canned beans and corn, look for low-sodium or sodium-free options. This will give you more control over the saltiness of the dish. You can always add more salt to it as needed.
- You can use any brand of sala you love for this recipe. If you like it spicy, go for a medium or spicy salsa.
- Don’t forget to cover the pan while it cooks!
More Quinoa Recipes to try
If you tried this One Pan Mexican Quinoa or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!
This One Pan Mexican Quinoa is easy to make and comes together in under 30 minutes!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, drained
- 1 cup corn kernels (canned, frozen or fresh)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- cilantro to garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan on medium-high heat then add the onion, red pepper and jalapeno and sautee for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beans, corn and chilli powder and salt and continue to saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the quinoa, salsa and vegetable stock, mixing everything together and bringing the mixture to a boil for just a minute, then cover and let simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, fluff it up with a fork.
- Serve and enjoy!
. This will give you more control over the saltiness of the dish. You can always add more salt to it as needed.
You can use any brand of sala you love for this recipe. If you like it spicy, go for a medium or spicy salsa.
Don’t forget to cover the pan while it cooks!
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 315
- Fat: 7.7g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 12.5g
Keywords: one pan Mexican quinoa, one pot Mexican quinoa, Mexican quinoa casserole