This vegan skillet cornbread is going to be your new best friend. It’s soft, moist and has just the right amount of sweetness. Learn the secrets to making the perfect skillet cornbread!
Do I have a treat for you today friends!
I don’t know about you, but I’m a die-hard cornbread fan. It’s one recipe that I think is TOTALLY underrated. Whenever I’m at a restaurant with cornbread on the menu, you can be guaranteed I’ll be ordering it. And if you’re not on the cornbread bandwagon yet, I can assure you, you will be by the end of this post. August feels like the perfect time to make cornbread. It just feels like the perfect summer bread, especially since its corn season.
Fresh corn is one of my favourite foods to shop for at farmer’s market in August. It’s so fresh and sweet and perfect to enjoy right off the cobb or to use in recipes, like this farmer’s market corn chowder. For this vegan skillet cornbread, I didn’t add fresh corn into the recipe itself, but feel free to add some in! (or any other mix-ins you love)
There are a few factors that make up the perfect cornbread. A perfect cornbread should be moist, (nobody wants a dry cornbread..) not too crumbly, have a buttery texture, and be subtly sweet. I’m happy to say that this vegan skillet cornbread checks these all off the list, hoorah!
Seriously though, it took a few tests to get this one right. But now that I did, I am happy to share the KEY SECRETS to ensure that your cornbread comes out perfect…every time!
A few notes on this recipe:
Want to know how to make cornbread that isn’t crumbly and dry? Read on!
- Don’t over mix your batter. I’m serious, you may be tempted to mix and whisk out all those little clumps until it seems super smooth and creamy…DON’T. Overmixing will lead to a crumby tough cornbread. Mix the batter just until everything is incorporated.
- Let your batter to rest for 10 minutes. This one is super important and it’s one that many recipes overlook. Cornmeal takes longer to absorb water than flour does, so by letting the batter rest your giving the batter a chance to absorb more liquid and letting your cornmeal become nice and soft and tender. This will result is a softer moister cornbread.
- Don’t make your oven too hot! This can dry out the cornbread. I baked mine at 375 degrees F, though if your oven runs hot, you can even try baking at 350 degrees F.
I use medium-ground cornmeal for this recipe because I like having some texture in my cornbread, but any type of cornmeal will work just fine!
If you’d like to make a vegetarian version of this vegan skillet cornbread, you can replace the flax egg with one regular egg. You can also replace the coconut sugar with any sweetener of your choice.
This vegan skillet cornbread is:
- Low in sugar
- Gluten-free option
- Moist, tender and light
Store this cornbread in an air-tight container for up to 4 days. I like to toast up my leftovers in the oven before enjoying!Print
Soft, moist, tender and all around DELICIOUS! This is the only cornbread recipe you’ll ever need!
- 1 cup white Spelt flour (or gluten-free flour or regular flour)
- 1 cup medium ground cornmeal
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax seeds mixed in 6 tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk
- Fresh corn
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease an 8 inch cast iron skillet with coconut oil.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, coconut sugar, salt and baking powder together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flax eggs, coconut oil and almond milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a spatula just until combined. Do not overmix!
- Let the batter sit and rest for 10 minutes.
- Pour the batter in the skillet and bake for 20-25, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before serving.
To make a flax egg, simply mix the flax and water together. Let sit and gel for 5 minutes.
If you have a large cast iron skillet you can double this recipe to fit the pan.
This recipe will also work well in an 8×8 inch baking pan.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 11g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: vegan cornbread, how to make cornbread not crumble
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!