Grilled BBQ Tofu
Grilled BBQ Tofu is the perfect dish if you’re looking for a healthy and delicious vegetarian and vegan-friendly recipe to enjoy on the grill! Tofu gets marinated, brushed with bbq sauce and grilled for a flavour-packed tofu recipe everyone will love!
Grilled tofu with bbq sauce
One of my favourite things about cooking with tofu is that it’s such a versatile ingredient and there are SO many different ways to cook it.
And hands down my favourite way to cook tofu in the summertime is to marinate it and grill it!
This recipe for Grilled BBQ tofu is an easy and healthy way to enjoy tofu that is packed with so much flavour. The tofu gets marinated, grilled and then coated with barbecue sauce and is the perfect vegetarian and vegan-friendly summer grilling recipe.
Why you’ll love this tofu recipe
- Packs some serious flavour. Because the tofu is marinated first, it becomes infused with so much flavour before going on the grill. This is the secret to really tasty grilled tofu!
- Easy to prepare. If you want a simple grilling recipe then this tofu is for you. It’s so easy to prepare and cook so there’s no need to be a “grill master.”
- Packed with protein. One serving of this tofu has 10 grams of lean protein for a healthy vegetarian meal.
BBQ Tofu marinade
This BBQ Tofu marinade is made with a few simple ingredients that give the tofu a salty, savoury and tangy flavour. This marinade will complement the bbq sauce that goes on top of the tofu.
Tofu Marinade Ingredients:
- Tamari: this will infuse the tofu with a salty and savoury taste. You can substitute tamari with soy sauce if you prefer, but just keep in mind that soy sauce is not gluten-free.
- Olive oil: just a little olive oil will help to give the tofu some body since tofu is very low in fat.
- Lemon juice: this will add a little bit of a tang to the tofu. If you prefer you can also use apple cider vinegar.
- Garlic powder: for some garlic flavour!
- Paprika: this gives the tofu a beautiful colour and adds a nice bbq flavour. If you prefer a smokey flavour you can use smoked paprika.
- Black pepper: just for a hint of spice.
How to make grilled BBQ tofu
Mix the ingredients for the tofu marinade in a large bowl. Press the tofu between two paper towels to remove as much excess liquid as possible. Cut the tofu into thick slices then add the tofu to the bowl of marinade and mix together to combine. Let the tofu marinade for at least an hour, or overnight if you have the time.
Heat your grill to 425 degrees F. Add the tofu slices to the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes on one side. Then flip the tofu and coat with the bbq sauce. Close the grill and let the tofu cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from the grill and enjoy!
How to make this recipe without a grill
If you don’t have a grill, don’t worry! You can still make this delicious bbq tofu recipe in the oven or on pan-friend. Here are the directions for both methods.
Oven-baked bbq tofu
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking pan with parchment paper. Place the slices of tofu on the baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip the tofu. Coat the top side of the tofu with bbq sauce and place back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
Pan-fried bbq tofu
Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat with 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Add the slices of tofu to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until crispy. Coat the top of the tofu with bbq sauce and serve.
What to serve with barbecue tofu
BBQ tofu can be served in a variety of different ways. You can serve up this tofu with a side of rice, quinoa, potatoes or grilled or steamed vegetables like green beans add it to buddha bowls, or enjoy it with some salad. You can also enjoy this bbq tofu as a protein inside sandwiches like this tofu banh mi sandwich.
How to store and reheat leftovers
Store leftover tofu in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. The tofu can be reheated on the grill, in a pan lightly coated with oil, in the oven or in the microwave.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Use extra-firm tofu. It’s important to use extra firm tofu for grilling so the tofu is firm enough to hold up on the grill. If you use tofu that is too soft, it will just fall apart when you try to grill it.
- Don’t cut the tofu too thin. This will make the tofu very fragile and hard to grill without the tofu breaking.
- Marinate the tofu for at least one hour. And if you have time, marinate it for up to 12 hours before grilling! The longer the tofu marinates the more it will infuse the tofu with flavour. If you only marinate the tofu for 30 minutes it won’t be very flavourful.
- Lightly grease the grill. This will help prevent the tofu from sticking to the grill and breaking when you try to flip it.
Barbecue Tofu FAQ
Extra-firm tofu is best for grilling. This type of tofu is firm enough to hold up on the grill without falling apart.
You can technically marinate tofu in bbq sauce and bake it, but I wouldn’t recommend it for grilling. The bbq sauce will burn on the grill as you cook the tofu.
Nope! Tofu is edible raw so it can’t really be undercooked on the grill like chicken or beef.
More tofu recipes to try
- Spicy Baked Peanut Butter Tofu
- Easy Kung Pao Tofu
- Crispy Pan-Fried Sesame Tofu
- Easy Tofu Stir Fry
- Copycat Chipotle Sofritas
If you tried this Grilled BBQ Tofu or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Tofu gets marinated and grilled with bbq sauce for a delicious meal!
- 2 1/2 tbsp tamari (can sub soy sauce)
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 block extra-firm tofu (approx 14–16 oz)
- 1/4 cup bbq sauce
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
- Press the tofu between two paper towels or a clean kitchen towel to remove as much liquid as possible, then cut the tofu into thick slices.
- Place the tofu in the bowl of marinade and mix together. (You can alternatively add the tofu and the marinade to a large ziplock bag if you prefer.) Let sit for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Lightly grease your grill and then heat your grill to 425 degrees F.
- Place the tofu slices on the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes on one side and then flip.
- Brush the top side of the tofu with the bbq sauce. Close the grill and let cook on the second side for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove and enjoy.
Make sure to use extra-firm tofu in this recipe.
Store leftover tofu in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 4g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 8.4g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: bbq tofu, barbecue tofu, grilled tofu, tofu with bbq sauce