Weeknight Tofu Stir Fry
This Weeknight Tofu Stir Fry comes together in less than 30 minutes and is perfect for those days where you feel too busy to cook something complicated! This recipe is naturally vegan, gluten-free and packed with protein and veggies for a healthy simple dinner you’ll love!
An easy tofu recipe
On busy weeknights, I like to keep dinner simple and cook up recipes that are fast, easy and filling. I’ll often make a batch of my weeknight slow cooker lentil soup, or whip up some 15-minute garlic noodles, or a simple stir fry.
This Weeknight Tofu Stir Fry is a dish I make regularly, yet somehow I’ve never shared it on the blog.
One thing I love about this recipe is it’s so versatile. Here is what you need to make this recipe:
- 1 pack of tofu (firm or extra-frim)
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- any veggies you like (I used broccoli and snow peas for this recipe)
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- hoisin sauce
- any grain you like for serving (optional)
That’s it! You can also mix up the stir fry sauce in this recipe for whatever sauce you have on hand.
How to make a tofu stir fry
Drain the tofu, cut it into cubes and toss it in cornstarch. Then add it to a hot pan with some oil and cook on each side until it’s golden brown. Be a little patient here and let the tofu cook for a cook 1-2 minutes on each side so all the cubes become nice and crispy!
Then push the tofu off to the side, add a touch more oil and add the onion and garlic letting it cook for a couple of minutes. Next add in the veggies and let those cook down for a couple of minutes before mixing the tofu cubes back in and adding your sauces.
Once it’s all mixed together give it a taste and adjust any seasoning if needed. Sometimes depending on the brand of tofu or many veggies you use, you might want to add a touch more sauce. Serve up this dish over rice, noodles or enjoy it on its own!
How do you fry tofu without sticking?
First off, if you have one use a non-stick pan to cook tofu. This is the easiest way to prevent it from sticking.
If you’re using a regular pan, preheat the pan on the stove for 1-2 minutes before adding the oil and make sure to use enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
When cooking the tofu, be patient and wait for the cubes to release from the pan. As they cook and get a nice golden brown crust on the sides, the cubes will un-stick from the pan.
How long do you cook tofu in a frying pan?
First off, you want to make sure to use firm or extra-firm tofu in a stir fry, otherwise softer tofu may fall apart. (Unless you’re making scrambled tofu.)
You’ll want to cook the tofu on medium-high heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Also, don’t peek or try lifting the tofu before it’s done! Be patient and let it brown so it gets nice and crispy. If you’d like to learn more about cooking tofu and different techniques make sure to check out this guide.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Use extra-firm tofu if you like your tofu crispy. You can also use firm tofu in this recipe if you prefer a slightly softer texture.
- Don’t peek when browning the tofu! If you try and lift the cubes they may stick to the bottom of the pan if they’re not done yet. Don’t interrupt this process.
- If you like your veggies like broccoli well cooked, steam them for 1-2 minutes before stir-frying to soften. (This is totally optional and based on personal taste.)
- Keep a cup of water nearby and add a little splash to the stir-fry if the tofu, veggies and sauce start sticking to the pan. This will also give your stir-fry a bit of a saucier texture.
More tofu recipes to tryPrint
A simple tofu stif fry that comes together in less than 30 minutes and is perfect for those busy weeknights!
- 1 pack extra-firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2–3 tbsp avocado oil (can sub vegetable oil)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup snow peas
- rice or noodles for serving
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium-high heat.
- Toss the tofu and the cornstarch together until evenly coated then add to the pan, letting the tofu cubes cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Push the tofu off to the side and add a touch more oil, then add the onion and garlic to the pan letting cook down for 2 minutes.
- Next add the veggies, letting cook for another 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Mix the tofu back in with the veggies and add the sauce to the pan mixing everything together.
- Serve on it’s own or over rice.
For crispy tofu, make sure to use extra-firm tofu. You can also use firm tofu in this recipe if you prefer your tofu slightly softer.
Don’t peek when browing the tofu! Give it time to brown on each side.
You can use any veggies you like in this recipe. If you like your veggies like broccoli more tender, you can steam them for 1-2 minutes before adding them to the stir fry.
If you’re tofu, veggies or sauce start sticking to the pan, add a splash of water to the pan to deglaze.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 500mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: easy tofu stir fry, fast stir fried tofu, easy tofu for dinner
If you tried this Weeknight Tofu Stir Fry or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!