This kung pao tofu recipe is easy to make and comes together in less than 30 minutes! Enjoy this healthy vegetarian recipe for dinner tonight!
Today we’re doing a tofu recipe. And not just any tofu recipe, KUNG PAO TOFU.
Super crispy little cubes of tofu tossed up in a spicy and tango kung pao sauce served with veggies, peanuts and rice. Sounds pretty good, right?
A tofu recipe everyone will love
This recipe is naturally vegan and gluten-free. It’s a great dinner option to suit all diets and if there is a tofu recipe to convert meat lovers THIS IS IT. Seriously. This recipe is the bee’s knees.
The secret to making a delicious kung pao tofu is all in the way you cut the tofu. So here’s the deal: we want to cut the tofu into SMALL CUBES.
How to make kung pao tofu
Kung pao tofu is a great dish to make when you’re looking to have dinner ready in 30 minutes or less.
- Cut the tofu into small cubes
- Fry the tofu in a pan on each side until completely crispy.
- Add the veggies and sautee with the tofu
- Add the Kung Pao sauce and mixe everything together.
- Serve over rice and top with sliced green . onions, cilantro and crushed peanuts.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Use firm or extra-firm tofu. This is important to make sure the tofu comes out crispy!
- Use enough oil to coat the bottom of your pan, so the tofu can pan-fry properly. This is also important for crispy tofu!
- Add any green veggies you love to this recipe. Some chopped broccoli or bok choy can be added it with the onion and peppers.
- Put up a pot of jasmine rice before you start preparing the tofu, so you’re rice is ready at the same time.
Other tofu recipes to try
If you tried this kung pao tofu or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!
Crispy mini tofu bites get coated in a spicy and tangy kung pao sauce. YUM.
- 2 1/2 tbsp avocado oil (can sub vegetable oil)
- 1 block extra firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (or Chinese vinegar)
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp sambal oelek chilli paste
- Crushed peanuts to top
- Cilantro to top
- Jasmin rice to serve with
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat then add the tofu. Let cook on each side for 2-3 minutes until brown and crispy. (don’t skip this step! We want crispy tofu on every side!)
- Push the tofu off to the side of the pan then add the remaining 1/2 tbsp of avocado oil, onion, garlic and pepper. Let the veggies cook for 2-3 minutes, then mix the tofu back in.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and pour the sauce in the skillet, mixing everything together. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve over rice and top with crushed peanuts and cilantro.
This recipe is best enjoyed right away so the tofu stays nice and crispy!
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 171
- Sugar: 9g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: how to make kung pao tofu, vegan, tofu recipe, 30 minute meals