Crispy mini tofu bites get coated in a spicy and tangy kung pao sauce. YUM.
- 2 1/2 tbsp avocado oil (can sub vegetable oil)
- 1 block extra firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (or Chinese vinegar)
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp sambal oelek chilli paste
- Crushed peanuts to top
- Cilantro to top
- Jasmin rice to serve with
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat then add the tofu. Let cook on each side for 2-3 minutes until brown and crispy. (don’t skip this step! We want crispy tofu on every side!)
- Push the tofu off to the side of the pan then add the remaining 1/2 tbsp of avocado oil, onion, garlic and pepper. Let the veggies cook for 2-3 minutes, then mix the tofu back in.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and pour the sauce in the skillet, mixing everything together. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve over rice and top with crushed peanuts and cilantro.
This recipe is best enjoyed right away so the tofu stays nice and crispy!
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 171
- Sugar: 9g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: how to make kung pao tofu, vegan, tofu recipe, 30 minute meals