This Orange Tofu recipe comes together in under 30 minutes and is perfect for those busy weeknights! This recipe is vegan, gluten-free and even non-tofu lovers will love this dish!
A tofu recipe for everyone
This recipe for Orange Tofu is made with pieces of extra-firm tofu pan-fried until crispy then tossed in a sweet and tangy Asian-style orange sauce. It’s a quick and easy to recipe to make and is perfect for a tasty vegan and gluten-free dinner.
This tofu can be enjoyed on its own or served with a side of rice, (I recommend jasmine rice) rice noodles, or stir-fried veggies.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This tofu dish comes together in under 30 minutes, so it’s perfect for those busy nights when you want dinner on the table quickly!
- The sauce is sweet and tangy and easy to make. The sauce coats the tofu and thickens as it cooks so you end up with restaurant-style tofu that is way healthier.
- This recipe can be modified and made with baked tofu, or vegetables added to it if you’re looking for a healthier alternative.
How to make orange tofu
- Drain the tofu and pat it dry. Then cut it up into cubes or 2-inch pieces and toss it with the cornstarch to evenly coat each piece.
- Fry the tofu in a pan with some oil until golden brown on each side.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together then add the sauce to a pan and let cook on medium for the sauce to thicken.
- Add the tofu to the pan and toss until evenly coated.
Tofu cooking options
This Orange Tofu is pan-fried in oil, but if you prefer (and have a bit more time on your hands) you can bake the tofu instead.
To bake the tofu, toss the cubes with 1/2 tbsp of olive oil, then coat with the cornstarch. Place all the pieces of tofu on a baking sheet spaced out so they aren’t touching, and bake at 425 degrees F for 20-30 minutes, flipping halfway through until golden brown on each side.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Use firm or extra-firm tofu in this recipe to get crispy pieces of tofu.
- Don’t skip adding cornstarch to coat the tofu. This coating helps the tofu get a nice and crispy exterior.
- Be patient while cooking the tofu. You want to cook it on each side until nice and golden brown.
More tofu recipes to try
If you tried this Orange Tofu or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!
A delicious crispy tofu coated in orange sauce that is completely vegan and gluten-free!
- 1 pack extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 2-inch pieces or cubes
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil for frying
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 2-ich cube ginger, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 4 tsp orange zest
- 4 tbsp tamari (can sub soy sauce)
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar (can sub brown sugar)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Rice or noodles
- sliced green onions
- sesame seeds
- Toss the tofu in cornstarch then fry in a pan with sunflower oil on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl until well combined.
- Once the tofu is cooked, remove from the pan and place onto a plate with paper towel. Pour out any excess oil from the pan.
- Add the sauce to the pan on medium heat and allow it to cook down just slightly, then add the tofu and toss everything together until well coated.
- Serve over rice.
Use firm or extra-firm tofu in this recipe to get crispy pieces of tofu.
Don’t skip adding cornstarch to coat the tofu. This coating helps the tofu get a nice and crispy exterior.
Be patient while cooking the tofu. You want to cook it on each side until nice and golden brown.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 400mg
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: orange tofu, vegan tofu, fried tofu with orange sauce
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!