This Orange Tofu recipe comes together in under 30 minutes and is perfect for those busy weeknights! This recipe is vegan, gluten-free and even non-tofu lovers will love this dish!
A tofu recipe for everyone
Are you ready for a delicious and simple tofu recipe that is quickly going to become your new favourite?!
This recipe for Orange Tofu is made with pieces of extra-firm tofu pan-fried until crispy then tossed in a sweet and tangy Asian-style orange sauce. It’s a quick and easy to recipe to make and is perfect for a tasty vegan and gluten-free dinner.
This orange tofu recipe can be enjoyed on its own or served with a side of rice, (I recommend jasmine rice) rice noodles, or stir-fried veggies.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- 30-minute recipe. This tofu dish comes together in under 30 minutes, so it’s perfect for those busy nights when you want dinner on the table quickly!
- The best sauce. The sauce is sweet and tangy and easy to make. The sauce coats the tofu and thickens as it cooks so you end up with restaurant-style tofu that is way healthier.
- Customizable. This recipe can be modified and made with baked tofu, or vegetables added to it if you’re looking for a healthier alternative.
Crispy orange tofu ingredients
- Tofu: I recommend using extra-firm tofu if you want the tofu to become nice and crispy! Medium or soft tofu can work too in this recipe, but just keep in mind the tofu won’t be crispy.
- Cornstarch: this is the “secret ingredient” used to coat the tofu cubes that will help them become crispy.
- Oil: for pan-frying the tofu. Use a cooking oil like avocado oil or canola oil.
- Garlic: fresh garlic is a key ingredient in a tasty orange sauce!
- Ginger: make sure to use fresh ginger here. This is another essential ingredient that pairs so well with orange.
- Orange juice: if you can, use fresh squeezed orange juice. (Just buy oranges and squeeze out the juice.) Otherwise, you can also buy a container of orange juice.
- Orange zest: a little fresh orange zest really helps to boost the orange flavour in the sauce.
- Tamari: you can substitute with soy sauce if you prefer.
- Rice vinegar: this is what gives the orange sauce that tangy flavour. If you don’t have rice vinegar you could substitute it with white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Coconut sugar: you can substitute this with brown sugar if you prefer.
How to make orange tofu
- Drain the tofu and pat it dry. Then cut it up into cubes or 2-inch pieces and toss it with the cornstarch to evenly coat each piece.
- Fry the tofu in a pan with some oil until golden brown on each side.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together then add the sauce to a pan and let cook on medium for the sauce to thicken.
- Add the tofu to the pan and toss until evenly coated.
Tofu cooking options
This Orange Tofu is pan-fried in oil, but if you prefer (and have a bit more time on your hands) you can bake the tofu instead.
To bake the tofu, toss the cubes with 1/2 tbsp of olive oil, then coat with the cornstarch. Place all the pieces of tofu on a baking sheet spaced out so they aren’t touching, and bake at 425 degrees F for 20-30 minutes, flipping halfway through until golden brown on each side.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Use firm or extra-firm tofu in this recipe to get crispy pieces of tofu.
- Don’t skip adding cornstarch to coat the tofu. This coating helps the tofu get a nice and crispy exterior.
- Be patient while cooking the tofu. You want to cook it on each side until nice and golden brown.
A delicious crispy tofu coated in orange sauce that is completely vegan and gluten-free!
- 1 pack extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 2-inch pieces or cubes
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil for frying
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2-inch cube ginger, finely chopped
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 4 tsp orange zest
- 4 tbsp tamari (can sub soy sauce)
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar (can sub brown sugar)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Rice or noodles
- sliced green onions
- sesame seeds
- Toss the tofu in cornstarch then fry in a pan with sunflower oil on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl until well combined.
- Once the tofu is cooked, remove from the pan and place onto a plate with paper towel. Pour out any excess oil from the pan.
- Add the sauce to the pan on medium heat and allow it to cook down just slightly, then add the tofu and toss everything together until well coated.
- Serve over rice.
Use firm or extra-firm tofu in this recipe to get crispy pieces of tofu.
Don’t skip adding cornstarch to coat the tofu. This coating helps the tofu get a nice and crispy exterior.
Be patient while cooking the tofu. You want to cook it on each side until nice and golden brown.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 400mg
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: orange tofu, vegan tofu, fried tofu with orange sauce
If you tried this Orange Tofu or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!