Crispy Air Fryer Tofu
Crispy Air Fryer Tofu is easy to make and is a healthier alternative to deep-fried tofu. This tofu recipe comes out super crispy and takes less than 30 minutes to make! Each serving of this crispy tofu is packed with 14 grams of protein for a healthy meal!
Air fryer tofu with cornstarch
While tofu is delicious pan-fried or deep-fried, it’s even more delicious made in an air fryer. Besides the fact that the tofu comes out super crispy, it’s super easy to make and has minimal cleanup.
The secret to making tofu extra-crispy in an air fryer is to coat the tofu with cornstarch. This coating on the tofu will help the tofu cubes crisp up and give them a delicious texture.
If you prefer to make the tofu without cornstarch, it’s still delicious, but won’t be quite as crispy.
Why you’ll love this air-fried tofu
- Easy to make. Making crispy tofu in the oven can take about 30 minutes to cook. Crispy tofu in the air fryer only takes about 10 minutes!
- Easy clean-up. Instead of dealing with oil splattering all over your stove when pan-frying tofu, just pop the tofu in the air fryer for a mess-free meal!
- Customizable. You can add whatever sauce or toppings you like to this crispy tofu. The possibilities are really endless!
- Healthy meal. This air-fried tofu is vegan, and gluten-free and has 140 calories and 14 grams of protein per serving.
Air fryer tofu ingredients
- Tofu: for crispy tofu, you’ll want to use firm or extra firm tofu in this recipe.
- Tamari: this will be used to marinate the tofu and give it some extra flavour. You can also use soy sauce.
- Sesame oil: this is also added to the tofu marinade for flavour. This ingredient is optional, but makes the tofu extra delicious!
- Cornstarch: the secret ingredient to making crispy tofu. You can also substitute cornstarch with tapioca starch.
How to make crispy air fryer tofu
Open and drain the pack of tofu, then press the tofu between a few sheets of paper towel to remove any excess moistuire. Cut the tofu into small cubes.
Add the marinade to the tofu and toss to evenly coat the tofu. Let the tofu sit in the marinade for 15 minutes.
Tip: for extra flavour, you can let the tofu sit in the marinade for an hour or longer if you have the time.
Add the cornstarch to the tofu and toss to evenly coat.
Spray the air fryer lightly with some cooking spray, then add the tofu to the air fryer basket in a single layer, leaving space between each cube of tofu.
Cook the tofu at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes, then give the basket a shake and cook the tofu for another 3-4 minutes until crispy.
How to serve crispy tofu
Air fryer tofu can be served in many different ways. You can make air fryer tofu and then stir-fry it or add sauce, serve it as a side, or serve it as a main with your favourite grains and vegetables. Here are some of my favourite way to serve this crispy tofu.
- Over rice or rice noodles
- Over fried rice
- With peanut butter sauce
- On a buddha bowl
- In a coconut curry
How to store and reheat
Store leftovers of this air fryer tofu in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Air fryer tofu is best reheated in the air fryer for 3-5 minutes, but can also be reheated in the oven at 400 degrees F for 5-8 minutes.
Expert tips for air fryer tofu
- Use firm or extra-firm tofu. If you use medium or soft tofu, it won’t become crispy in the air fryer. Extra-firm tofu has the least amount of liquid in it, so it’s the best option for crispy tofu. (But firm tofu works great too!)
- Marinade the tofu for extra flavour. If you find tofu tends to be bland, make sure to marinade it before air frying. This will infuse the tofu with more flavour.
- Cut into any shape you like. For this recipe, I cut the tofu into small cubes, but you can also cut the tofu into strips if you like.
- Dont overfill the airfryer. If you have a small air fryer, you may need to make the tofu in two batches. It’s important to leave some space between all the cubes of tofu in the air fryer. (This is what helps make each cube super crispy!)
It’s best to press the tofu between a few sheets of paper towel before air frying to remove any excess liquid. Some people like to press the tofu in a tofu press, however, I find this isn’t necessary.
You don’t have to, but the tofu will have more flavour if you do. If you plan on adding sauce on top of the tofu, you can skip the marinade.
Yes! If you prefer to make it without cornstarch just commit this ingredient. Just keep in mind the tofu will be slightly less crispy.
I don’t recommend reheating crispy tofu in the microwave as it will become soft and soggy. It’s best reheated in the air fryer or in the oven.
More tofu recipes to try
If you tried this Air Fryer Tofu or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Air Fryer Tofu
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Air fry
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Crispy air fryer tofu is easy to make and ready in under 30 minutes!
- 1 block tofu (approx 12 oz)
- 1 tbsp tamari (can sub soy sauce)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Remove the tofu from the package and squeeze out as much water as possible between a few sheets of paper towel.
- Cut the tofu into cubes, then toss with the tamari and sesame oil and let sit for 15 minutes to marinade.
- Toss the tofu with the cornstarch, then layer the tofu evenly into the air fryer basket, making sure no pieces of tofu are touching.
- Air fry at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, then give the basket a shake and air fry for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Depending on your air fryer you may need slightly more or less time to cook. Mine was perfect in 13 minutes.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the air fryer.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 140
- Sugar: 0g
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 14g
Keywords: air fryer tofu, oil-free tofu, crispy tofu in air fryer