This vegan fried rice with scrambled tofu is a healthy take on fried rice that is loaded with veggies, edamame beans, and turmeric scrambled tofu instead of eggs! Enjoy this protein loaded veggie dish for dinner or as a side!
About this vegan fried rice:
This rice you guys. THIS RICE.
I’m not kidding you when I say I think this rice is my new addiction.
Usually, I’m a big fan of stir-fry noodle type dishes, and I’m no stranger to sharing some of my favourites here on the blog, (Like these life-changing peanut butter noodles and these 15-minute sesame ginger noodles) but this vegan fried rice with scrambled tofu is a welcomed change!
This recipe happened kind of spontaneously this week. One of those situations where I happened to have all of the right ingredients on hand and figured, why not? And I’m glad I did! This one is definitely going to be a staple in my kitchen for quick and easy weeknight dinners considering it comes together in only 25 minutes!
What’s in this vegan fried rice:
This vegan fried rice with scrambled tofu starts off with some sprouted brown rice. You can of course use any type of rice you like, but let me tell you, sprouted brown rice in a stir-fry…GAME CHANGER.
It has a delicious nutty flavour and a bit of a chewy texture that just holds onto the sauce so well! It’s also extremely nutritious and loaded with fibre, vitamins and protein.
Next, this dish gets all the delicious veggies added to it. Onion, garlic, carrots, celery and edamame beans. The edamame adds some more protein to this dish, but you could also use peas if you prefer.
My favourite part about this recipe is definitely the scrambled tofu. I like to use a medium or medium-firm tofu for scrambling, which has a lot more moisture in it that firm or extra-firm tofu. Generally a firm tofu is great for stir-frying if you’d like it to get crispy, but in this case, the moister in the tofu is your friend and will help give it that perfect scrambled texture. It also really does look like eggs. No joke, I tricked my boyfriend into thinking I used egg in the dish! Of course you could also use other vegan protein sources such as tempeh – it really all depends on your preference!
The big flavour in this dish of course comes from the sauce. I used a combination of soy sauce, sesame oil and vegetarian oyster sauce. If you don’t mind using regular oyster sauce you can use that instead, (though the dish won’t be vegan if you do) or even just substitute with some hoisin sauce.
This vegan fried rice with scrambled tofu is:
- High in protein
If I’m serving this as a meal, I like to scramble some extra tofu to serve on top of this dish. You can also add in any of your favourite vegetables or protein sources you love!Print
It’s time for fried rice! This one is made healthy and vegan with sprouted brown rice and scrambled tofu instead of eggs!
- 2 tsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/2 pack of medium-firm tofu (approx 200g)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp soy sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1 celery stalk, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup edamame beans (cooked according to package directions)
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked. (approx 1 cup uncooked)
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce (can sub hoisin sauce)
- 1 tsp sriracha
- Heat the avocado oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat.
- Crumble the tofu with your hands and add to the pan, letting cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Add the turmeric and soy sauce and toss together.
- Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tsp avocado oil in a pan, then add the onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Next add the garlic, carrot and celery and cook for another 5-7 minutes on medium heat, until the carrots are tender.
- Add the edamame beans, brown rice, soy sauce, sesame oil, vegetarian oyster sauce, sriracha and scrambled tofu and mix until combined.
- Let sit and cook for 1-2 minutes to allow the bottom layer of rice to get a little crispy.
- Remove from heat and serve
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Top with fresh cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 480
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 84g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 17g
Keywords: how to make fried rice, scrambled tofu recipe
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!