This vegan fried rice with scrambled tofu is a healthy take on fried rice that is loaded with veggies, edamame beans, and turmeric scrambled tofu instead of eggs! Enjoy this protein-loaded veggie dish for dinner or as a side!
Vegan fried rice is a great one-pan recipe that combines grains, proteins and veggies for a balanced meal that is easy to make.
This recipe uses scrambled tofu in place of the scrambled egg in traditional fried rice, which gives this dish some protein and delicious texture. It’s also made with brown rice for some added fiber and whole-grains, though you can use any type of rice you like to make this dish!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- The whole-grain brown rice gives this dish a super-rich and nutty flavour and texture.
- Scrambled tofu mixed with rice is just delicious and has a very similar texture to a scrambled egg. (In fact, many people will think it is egg if you don’t tell them!)
- This recipe is great to prepare in advance and stores well in the fridge, so it’s a great option to make for meal prep.
Is fried rice vegan?
Traditional fried rice is not vegan since it contains eggs usually as well as some sauces sometimes that may not be vegan.
This version if fried rice is vegan, gluten-free and much healthier than typical fried rice.
How to make vegan fried rice
- Start by making the scrambled tofu in a pan. Crumble up the tofu and add to a hot pan with some oil and seasoning, cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the rest of the veggies and mix together.
Mix everything together and let cook on medium-high until crispy on the bottom.
Top with thinly sliced green onions and enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Cook your rice ahead of time to save time when you want to make this recipe.
- Make sure not to overcook your rice before adding it to the pan. The rice should still have a slight bite to it since it will cook up a bit more once you add it in the pan.
- Use a good quality organic firm tofu for this recipe.
- Let the rice cook in the pan on high heat for a few minutes without mixing it. This will allow your rice to slightly brown on the bottom and give it a subtle but delicious toasty crunch!
Other rice bowl recipes to try
If you tried this Vegan fried rice or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!
This fried rice recipe is made with scrambled tofu and is a healthy alternative to traditional fried rice!
- 2 tsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/2 pack of medium-firm tofu (approx 200g)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp soy sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked according to package directions (can sub any rice)
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1 celery stalk, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup peas beans (cooked according to package directions)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce (can sub hoisin sauce)
- 1 tsp sriracha
- Heat the avocado oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat.
- Crumble the tofu with your hands and add to the pan, letting cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Add the turmeric and soy sauce and toss together.
- Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tsp avocado oil in a pan, then add the onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Next add the garlic, carrot and celery and cook for another 4-5 minutes on medium heat, until the carrots are tender.
- Add the peas, brown rice, soy sauce, sesame oil, vegetarian oyster sauce, sriracha and scrambled tofu and mix until combined.
- Let sit and cook for 1-2 minutes to allow the bottom layer of rice to get a little crispy.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Cook the rice ahead of time to save time prepping this recipe.
Make sure not to overcook the rice before adding it to the pan! The rice will continue to cook up a bit once it’s in the pan with the veggies.
Use a good quality organic firm tofu for this recipe.
Let the rice cook a bit in the pan without mixing it so the bottom can crisp up.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 450
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 70g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 17g
Keywords: vegan fried rice, gluten-free fried rice, healthy fried rice
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!