This vegan butternut squash mac and cheese is healthy comfort food at it’s best! Filled with wholesome and natural ingredients like butternut squash, cashews, and coconut milk. This dish will fill your belly and warm your soul!
When I think back to my childhood I have many fond memories of mac and cheese. (I think many of us do!) In fact, I think that’s one of the reasons why mac and cheese has been bestowed the honour of being one of the ultimate comfort foods.
It’s all in the memories and the power they have over us. Those special moments we think back to that put a smile on our faces.
I remember being at summer camp and having mac and cheese for dinner, or being at my family’s country house in the winter and having a big bowl of mac and cheese for lunch after a morning of cross-country skiing.
This vegan butternut squash mac and cheese is tribute to those days. Those cozy afternoons by the fireplace with mac and cheese. Those summer nights by the lake with mac and cheese. let’s raise a glass to mac and cheese!
So this post turned out to be a lot more sentimental than I thought it would be. But I guess that’s the beauty of cooking dishes that transport you back in time.
I think we all have a mac and cheese story to share. I’d love to hear yours in the comments!Print
Enjoy this vegan comfort food guilt free!
- 2 cups dried macaroni (I used gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup starchy water (*from the cooked pasta)
- 1 cup butternut squash, chopped & skin removed
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 1 hour then drained
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (full-fat from a can)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard seed
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh sage leaves
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water, then drain and set aside.
- Boil the butternut squash and onion in a pot until tender.
- Drain and add the squash and onion to a blender with the pasta water. Pulse a few times until smooth.
- Next add the raw cashews, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic powder, ground mustard seed, nutmeg, salt and pepper and blend until smooth. Add a bit more water or coconut milk if necessary if your sauce is too thick.
- Pour into the pasta in a pot on low heat and mix together until combined.
- Top with fresh sage if desired and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 4g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 12g
Keywords: Vegan butternut squash mac and cheese, how to make vegan mac and cheese
Tips & suggestions:
- If you forget to add the pasta water, you can also just add 2 tsp of cornstarch to 1/2 cup cold instead
- If you don’t like cashews replace 1/4 cup cashews with more coconut cream
- Add your favourite dried herbs to mix in with the mac and cheese before serving
- If you love this recipe try my creamy spaghetti with leeks, peas, and asparagus!