Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
This Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup recipe is the perfect quick & easy Fall soup to make in your pressure cooker! It’s also naturally vegan and gluten-free and has an option to make it on the stove!
I recently shared a recipe for a Thai butternut squash soup and received some questions about how to make it in an Instant Pot. Which got me thinking: I definitely need to make an Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup recipe!
And I’m so happy I did. This soup is so easy to make and the Instant Pot is perfect to cook up the butternut squash super quickly, so you can have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This butternut squash soup can be made in an Instant pot, on the stovetop or even in a slow cooker, so you can enjoy this soup no matter what kitchen gadgets you have on hand!
- This soup is healthy and is naturally vegan and gluten-free.
- This soup is freezer-friendly, so you can prepare it ahead of time (or make a double batch) and freeze it to have on hand whenever you need!
Ingredients for butternut squash soup
- Butternut Squash: The star ingredient! You can buy a whole butternut squash and peel and cut it up yourself, or you can buy pre-cut butternut squash to save yourself even more time in the kitchen.
- Onions & Garlic: Two essential ingredients when making soup (in my opinion.) These are the flavour builders in this soup.
- Fresh sage: Optional, but compliments the flavour of butternut squash SO well. You can alternatively use your favourite dried herbs too.
- Nutmeg: Butternut squash and nutmeg and complementary ingredients. Nutmeg helps elevate the flavour of the butternut squash soup and gives the recipe that perfect cozy Fall flavour
- Vegetable broth: Or whatever your favourite broth is. I always recommend buying low sodium broth so you can control how salty the soup is.
How to make Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
Put the instant pot on Sautee mode then add the oil and onions, letting cook down for 2-3 minutes. Then add the garlic and let cook for another 2 minutes.
Add the butternut squash to the pot with the herbs and seasoning and mix everything together.
Add in the broth, cover the instant pot and set it to sealing. Cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release on venting. You can alternatively use the “soup” mode on the Instant Pot.
Remove the sprig of sale then using an emulsion blender, (or a regular blender) blend the soup until smooth and creamy.
How to make butternut squash soup on the stovetop
If you’d like to make this recipe on the stovetop, turn your pot on medium-high heat then add the onions and garlic letting cook down.
Next, add the cubed butternut squash and soup broth, bring to a boil then cover and let simmer for 30 minutes or until the squash is tender. Remove the sprig of sage then use an emulsion blender (or a regular blender) and blend the soup until smooth and creamy.
How to make butternut squash soup in a slow cooker
Combine all the soup ingredients in your slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours until the squash is tender.
Remove the sprig of sage then use an emulsion blender (or regular blender) and blend until smooth and creamy.
*When making this soup in a slow cooker, I personally prefer to sautee my onions and garlic in a pan then adding them to the slow cooker. This isn’t necessary, but I find it adds SO much great flavour to the soup, so it’s worth the extra step.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Use a ripe butternut squash for best results. To choose your squash, pick one that feels heavy for its size, is darker in colour and has a brown stem.
- Use low-sodium vegetable broth so you can control how salty the soup comes out. Some broths are very salty.
- If you like a chunkier soup, only blend it slightly. If you like a super smooth and creamy soup, blend it for a good 60 seconds.
- Coconut milk makes a great garnish on top of this soup.
More butternut squash recipes to try
- Date Night Butternut Squash Risotto
- Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Spicy Thai Butternut Squash Soup
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer/Main
- Method: Pressure Cook
- Cuisine: American
Instant Pot Butternut Squash soup is so cozy and easy to make right in a pressure cooker!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash, peel and cut into cubes
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 sprig of fresh sage
- 1 litre vegetable broth (I use l0w-sodium)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Turn the Instant Pot on Sautee, then once heated add the olive oil and onion, letting cook for 2-3 miuntes until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes, then add the cubed butternut squash and mix together, letting cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the nutmeg, sage and broth, then seal and set to sealing.
- Cook on manual on high pressure for 10 miutes. Then allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before manually releasing pressure.
- Use an emulsion blender or regular blender to blend the soup until smooth and creamy.
- (Optionally) serve with a drizzle of coconut milk, pumpkin seeds and fresh herbs.
Use a ripe butternut squash for best results. To choose your squash, pick one that feels heavy for its size, is darker in colour and has a brown stem.
Use low-sodium vegetable broth so you can control how salty the soup comes out. Some broths are very salty.
If you like a chunkier soup, only blend it slightly. If you like a super smooth and creamy soup, blend it for a good 60 seconds.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 350mg
- Fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: pressure cooker butternut squash soup, Instant pot butternut squash soup
If you tried this Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!
Instant pot fall recipes are the best! This soup looks so warming and hearty 🙂 Yum
Thank you Emily!