This vegan cauliflower fried rice is a lightened-up version of fried rice that features cauliflower as the star ingredient and a
Today cauliflower is having a moment. It’s not a
This recipe for vegan cauliflower fried rice replaces actual rice with, well, cauliflower rice! Ok, so I know cauliflower isn’t ACTUALLY rice, but cauliflower rice is most definitely a fun way to eat cauliflower and it takes on a similar texture to eating a bowl of rice.
It’s really the perfect option for anyone looking for a bit of a lighter less carby meal. (Or if you’re like me and eat 3 cake batter donuts and decide to keep things extra healthy for dinner!)
What is cauliflower rice?
Cauliflower is like the chameleon of vegetables. It can be turned into an array of things from pizza
The texture is similar to rice, though it is a bit more light and fluffy and doesn’t have the same “bite” as rice does. Cauliflower rice makes a great option if you’re looking to lighten up your meals, are avoiding grains, or just looking to incorproate more veggies into your diet.
Cauliflower rice can be made in your food processor, or can made with a grater. (I use my food processor since it’s quick and easy!)
A few notes on the recipe:
This vegan cauliflower fried rice is made with some traditional veggies found in a fried rice. If you like any additional vegetables (shoutout to broccoli!) you can also add them to this dish.
To prepare the scrambled tofu, you can pulse it in a food processor until it forms small bits, or just break up the tofu with your hands. Then just cook it off with some seasoning in a pan and set aside to mix back in with the rest of the ingredients. If you want to make this dish vegetarian and prefer egg in your fried rice, skip this step and just simply crack an egg into the dish after all the veggies are added, then mix until cooked.
This recipe is best enjoyed immediately. It can be stored in the fridge for a few days, though I find it tastes much better eaten fresh.
A take on fried rice that is completely vegan and made with cauliflower instead of rice!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 block tofu
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
Cauliflower fried rice:
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- scrambled tofu
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha
- chopped scallions, cilantro and sesame seeds to top
- Scramble the tofu: Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. crumble the tofu into small pieces using your hands, or a food processor on pulse. Add the tofu to the pan and let cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Add the soy sauce and turmeric and mix together. Remove heat and set aside.
- Make the cauliflower rice: Add the cauliflower florets to your food processor and pulse until it resembles rice.
- Prep the fried rice: Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat then add the onion and garlic letting cook for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the pepper and carrot, and let cook until tender. Next add the cauliflower rice, peas, scrambled tofu, and seasoning and mix together, let cook for 3-4 minutes until the cauliflower is tender. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve: serve in a bowl and top with some scallions, chopped cilantro and sesame seeds
- Add in any additional veggies you like to this dish. I find broccoli or zucchini are delicious options!
- This recipe can be stored in the fridge though I find it tastes best enjoyed immediately.
Keywords: how to make cauliflower rice, cauliflower fried rice