Roasted Pumpkin Salad
This Roasted Pumpkin Salad is made with a handful of simple ingredients and a honey balsamic vinaigrette for a tasty salad that is perfect for Fall. Serve this salad up for lunch, as an appetizer or a side!
Pumpkin salad with feta and walnuts
I love making and eating salads for healthy lunches or as a side with dinner. Especially during the summer months when it’s sunny and warm out, all I want to eat is fresh and vibrant salads. But when Fall rolls around, I usually crave heavier and warmer foods and ingredients.
Roasted Pumpkin Salad is the perfect transitional recipe from Summer to Fall so you can still enjoy a salad, but one that is a little heartier than a light summer salad. The roasted pumpkin in the salad gives it this warm “fall” feeling and leaves you feeling satiated and full.
This salad can be served warm or cold and is delicious both ways. Because it’s made with kale, it will stand up well if you serve it with warm roasted pumpkin straight out of the oven. If you prefer the salad to be cold, you can let the pumpkin cool down before adding it to the salad.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- 6 ingredients. You only need six simple ingredients to make this pumpkin salad. (plus the vinaigrette)
- Easy to customize. You can use pumpkin, squash, sweet potato and any leafy green you like in this salad. It’s completely customizable to make with whatever you have on hand.
- Vegetarian and gluten-free. This salad is perfect to suit different diets and is naturally gluten-free.
- Perfect for the holidays. The comination of ingredients in this salad make it festive and perfect for thanksgiving or the holidays.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Roasted pumpkin: you can use pumpkin, any type of sqasuh or sweet potato.
- Kale: I like kale as the leafy green in this salad because it stands up well to the pumpkin. If you prefer you can also use spinach.
- Mint: the mint pairs so nicely with the pumpkin and pomegrate and brightens up the flavour in the salad.
- Walnuts: pecans would be another great option here too.
- Feta: double-creamed feta is the best and will give the salad a beautiful creamy element.
- Pomegranate: for some crunch and sweetness.
How to make Roasted Pumpkin Salad
Peel your pumpkin or squash and cut it into small cubes. Place the cubed pumpkin in a large mixing bowl and then toss it with some oil, salt and pepper.
Tip: making this recipe with butternut squash? This guide will teach you how to choose, prep and cook squash.
Place the pumpkin on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast it in the oven at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes until tender.
Add the roasted pumpkin to a large mixing bowl with the kale, mint, walnuts, feta and pomegranate. If you want to serve this salad warm, you can add the pumpkin directly out of the oven. If you prefer your salad to be cold then wait for the pumpkin to cool before adding it in. Mix the vinaigrette ingredients together and pour over the salad.
How to store
Store leftovers of this salad in the fridge for up to 2 days. *This salad stores best undressed. (After being dressed, the kale will start to get a bit soggy, so I recommend keeping the vinaigrette separately and only adding it to the salad when serving.)
Tips for making this pumpkin salad perfectly
- Cut the pumpkin cubes evenly. This will ensure that the pumpkin cooks evenly in the oven.
- Use double-creamed feta for the best taste. This type of feta is creamier than some of the generic brands at the grocery store. Head to your local cheese store to find this type of feta cheese.
- Only dress the salad right before serving. Dressing a salad too early can cause the salad to become soggy and not taste so fresh.
More salad recipes to try
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts And Apple Salad
- The Best Farro Salad
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Quinoa Kale Salad With Sweet Potato
- Kale Caesar Salad
Roasted Pumpkin Salad is the perfect fall appetizer or side!
- 4 cups pumpkin or butternut squash, cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 3 tbsp walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp mint, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the cubed butternut squash in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread the pumpkin onto the baking and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl toss together the pumpkin, kale, feta, pomegranate, walnuts and mint.
- To make the dressing, mix the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt and pepper together in a cup or a jar.
- Pour the dressing onto the salad and toss it together. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
Cut the pumpkin cubes evenly. This will ensure that the pumpkin cooks evenly in the oven.
Use double-creamed feta for the best taste. This type of feta is creamier than some of the generic brands at the grocery store. Head to your local cheese store to find this type of feta cheese.
Only dress the salad right before serving. Dressing a salad too early can cause the salad to become soggy and not taste so fresh.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of the recipe
- Calories: 226
- Sugar: 10g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 25.4g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: pumpkin salad, roasted pumpkin salad, butternut squash salad, kale and squash salad