The Best Farro Salad
If you’re looking for a hearty and tasty salad then this recipe is for you! This is the Best Farro Salad recipe and is perfect for a healthy lunch, side, or appetizer.
What exactly is Farro?
Farro is a nutrient-rich ancient whole grain wheat that has a nutty, and slightly chewy texture when cooked. One half-cup serving of farro contains 6 grams of fibre.
Farro can be used as a substitute in recipes like Quinoa salads, or whole-grain rice dishes. Because of it’s soft, chewy and nutty texture, Farro pairs well with nuts, mustard greens, (like kale and Brussels sprouts) and cheeses.
This recipe for The Best Farro Salad has a combination of crunchy, chewy, sweet, and salty ingredients for the perfect balance of flavour.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Vegetable stock: to cook the farro. this infuses it with flavour
- Farro: the star ingredient!
- Brussels sprouts: shaved or shredded. The texture stands up well paired with the farro
- Apple: for a refreshing crispness
- Parmesan cheese: a perfect match with farro
- Pecans: for something nutty and crunchy
- Golden Raisins: for something sweet and chewy
- Parsley: for a fresh element
How to make this Farro Salad
This Farro Salad is super easy to make! First, you need to cook the farro, and then chop/slice/cut up all the other ingredients and add everything to a large mixing bowl.
Next toss it together with some homemade honey dijon dressing and serve.
This recipe is versatile and can have a variety of substitutions if needed:
- Farro: sub quinoa or brown rice for a gluten-free option
- Brussels Sprouts: sub kale or thinly sliced broccoli
- Golden raisins: sub dried cherries or cranberries
- Parmesan cheese: sub crumbled goat cheese, feta or pecorino
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Cook the Farro in broth rather than water. This infuses the farro with flavour and will create a more flavourful and tasty salad.
- When adding the dressing, start with half the dressing and then add more. Depending on your personal preference you may want more or less dressing on the salad.
- This salad is best enjoyed right away. Once dressed, the dressing will help prevent the apples from browning.
More salad recipes to try
If you tried this Farro Salad or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!
This Farro salad is nutty, hearty, and delicious as a side, appetizer or lunch!
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup farro
- 1 cup shaved Brussels sprouts* (see note)
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese shavings (or grated)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
Honey Dijon Vinaigrette
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- pinch salt & pepper
- Cook the Farro: Cook the farro in the stock according to package directions. Remove from heat and drain off any remaining stock. Set aside and let cool.
- Make the dressing: Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl or jar.
- Assemble the salad: Mix the Farro and the remaining salad ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Top with 1/2 the salad dressing, mix and taste. Add more dressing if desired. (You may want to use all the dressing or just some of it on the salad.)
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.
You can buy pre-shaved Brussels Spouts at the grocery store, or use a mandolin or attachment on your food processor to shave them at home.
- Serving Size: 1/6th recipe
- Calories: 175
- Sugar: 10g
- Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: How to make a farro salad, healthy farro salad recipe